Author Topic: .45 Brass small primer thorn.  (Read 2694 times)

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
.45 Brass small primer thorn.
« on: July 06, 2022, 06:53:46 pm »
Trying to load large pistol primers into the occasional small primer hole ".45 ACP" on Star Re-loaders is a PITA.       
Requiring dangerous disassembly to remove the crushed primer. I sort the cases to remove small primer cases but overlook about 1-2 per thousand cases sorted. Whoever thought to bring back small primers for .45 ACP needs His A.K. , Anyone else have this problem ?

My Rant For Today !

Good Shooting

Lindy

jjessip

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: .45 Brass small primer thorn.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 12:04:10 pm »
Yes, it can be a complication. After tumbling or buying once-fired brass, I always take some time to cull the brass -- check for burrs or cracks, undesired brands such as A-Merc, and those with small primer pockets.
jjessip

brian_a_mcmillen

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 04:49:10 pm »
This is one of the reasons why I always process my brass entirely before I load.  I size, decap, clean the primer pockets, sonic clean, dry then tumble before I even think about putting them in the Star.  I know it takes a ton more time but I actually enjoy reloading especially in the winter.
BMcMillen

jcullen

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 08:39:41 am »
Brian, You de-prime and size before using the Star, did you remove the Star resizing die from the head....Thanks