Author Topic: Angled primer problem  (Read 6327 times)

Moto727

• View Profile
Angled primer problem
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:28:36 pm »
I am having a problem with my star reloader, it is set up in 9mm and have previously reloaded several thousand rounds through it. After cleaning up a powder spill, it has developed a problem priming shells. The primers appear to be rising straight up but the shells seem to be canted at an angle. I think the cause of this is the detent ball is applying too much pressure to the shell plate which is angling the shell. I had cleaned some powder out of the detent ball area and it seems like it is sitting higher than it previously did. Prior to the powder spill the machine ran like a champ. Now it's crushing about every 5th primer. Is there any adjustment to the detent ball?? Any ideas on how to fix this??
Thanks

bkbc38

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Angled primer problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:57:16 am »
the shell plate maybe too loose.  when adjusting the shell plate, tighten it and then back up about one eighth of a turn. the ball can only go so far. Hope this works for you.

Bob

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Angled primer problem
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:47:54 pm »
Getting my 9mm set up and running was something of a chore because I was using a variety of cases. I have since found out quite a few brands of 9mm have swagged primer pockets which can cause the problem you describe if the swagging is not removed. It is also possible a bit of powder is keeping the end of the primer slide from making a complete stroke (powder between the slide and the center post). Mine also works better if the plate is full of cases, not trying to run one to check and see if it will work.
Rolling Stone