Author Topic: Number of Star Reloaders produced  (Read 19941 times)

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Number of Star Reloaders produced
« on: November 08, 2003, 10:16:58 am »
How many Star Progressive Reloaders were made over the years?
TDO'NEILL

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 11:18:55 am »
Elord told me once that at the height they were turning out 500 a year.  Exactly when that started I don't know but it went on for decades.

For a considerable period Star had large standing orders for their machines.  Thus they didn't have to advertise.  If you found them, they would sell you a machine.  All the rest went to a few very big customers.

Star help Mike Dillon get started.  Mike's first product was the so-called Super Star kit which converted a Star Universal into a machine capable of reloading 223's.  Elord helped Mike develop that.

Mike's first machine, the Dillon RL1050, was meant to be a Super Star kit built from the ground up.  Financially it was a blop.  That forced Mike into machine machines like his current line.  When Mike became the leading progressive manufacturer, he specifically set out to destroy Star.  I never understood why.

The Wilkinson family, two generations of which worked for Star, would probably know more.  The elder Wilkinson retired to somewhere in the Phoenix area.  God only know where.  There are about a dozen towns down there.  His son, Rob I think, might have gone there too.  Might be worth a search to see if there is a Rob Wilkinson in the phone book somewhere.

One last thought.  For a long time Star Universals sold for $450 I think.  That was a lot more than they cost to make.  Star was getting so many orders, however, that they raised the price to $950 to cut interest.  It had just the opposite effect.
former progressive press collector

eaglemike

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://eagle-m-e.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 02:34:30 am »
There's a lot more to the pricing situation than many realize. The amount of hand work in the Star was far more than needed today, with modern methods. That's one reason it was so much better than any other reloader. The owners were no longer young in the 70's, and and talked about whether or not it would be a good thing to tie up a lot of money in new equipement.

A quick example of why/how they were better.....Every crimping die was threaded onto a a hardened and ground mandrel, between lathe centers, and then the threads were chased - so the threads were always concentric with the inside contour.The roll crimp on a .38 special loaded on a Star tool is a thing of beauty... :) I learned how to chase threads making .38 special crimping dies - 2 wooden trays full - several hundred - I learned a lot there.

Just found this forum tonight - I'll post more about the history from time to time. I used to listen to Bill Brenizer for a hour at lunch time almost every day.
Eagle Mfg & Eng since 1990

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Shell Plates and Dies
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 12:43:41 am »
EagleMike,

Since you have the experiance, and also have a machine shop, have you ever considered making Shell Plates and Dies for Star Reloaders.  We could really use a reliable source.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

eaglemike

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://eagle-m-e.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 02:22:00 am »
Yes, I have considered that. I may be doing that - the only problem is right now I've a hard time keeping up with current business. :)  A good problem to have!

I did help a guy out a little in Colorado last year, setting him up with a modified powder bar.

The shell plates were made of a special alloy, machined, ground, sent to heat treat, and then finish ground. We really did try to make the best possible parts, and the shell plates were no exception. I made the base plates for about 2 years - the 1 1/16" thick steel base that everything is pretty much indexed to - they are a lot of work.

all the best,

Mike
Eagle Mfg & Eng since 1990

K6TC1

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Star Reloaders produced
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:00:03 pm »
Elord told me once that at the height they were turning out 500 a year.  Exactly when that started I don't know but it went on for decades.

For a considerable period Star had large standing orders for their machines.  Thus they didn't have to advertise.  If you found them, they would sell you a machine.  All the rest went to a few very big customers.

Star help Mike Dillon get started.  Mike's first product was the so-called Super Star kit which converted a Star Universal into a machine capable of reloading 223's.  Elord helped Mike develop that.

Mike's first machine, the Dillon RL1050, was meant to be a Super Star kit built from the ground up.  Financially it was a blop.  That forced Mike into machine machines like his current line.  When Mike became the leading progressive manufacturer, he specifically set out to destroy Star.  I never understood why.

The Wilkinson family, two generations of which worked for Star, would probably know more.  The elder Wilkinson retired to somewhere in the Phoenix area.  God only know where.  There are about a dozen towns down there.  His son, Rob I think, might have gone there too.  Might be worth a search to see if there is a Rob Wilkinson in the phone book somewhere.

One last thought.  For a long time Star Universals sold for $450 I think.  That was a lot more than they cost to make.  Star was getting so many orders, however, that they raised the price to $950 to cut interest.  It had just the opposite effect.
***Ira and Dot retired to Cottomwood Arizona, I believe Robbie went with them***

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Star Reloaders produced
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:18:10 am »
Cottonwood.  That is just down the road.  Found their address and phone number.  Will give them a call tomorrow.  Thanks!

Kenneth L. Walters
Flagstaff, Arizona
former progressive press collector