Author Topic: CHANCE TO BUY A 9MM TOOL HEAD  (Read 14433 times)

ebrem

• Active Members
    • View Profile
CHANCE TO BUY A 9MM TOOL HEAD
« on: December 25, 2009, 04:02:29 pm »
Hello

I have a chance to buy a Star (new in the box) 9mm Tool Head with dies but no Shell Plate for $485.  I am wondering if this is on the high side in price considering what 38SPL and 45 Cal. Tool Heads sell for.   I am also aware that the 9mm Tool Head is desirable and sort after though.

Any input and opinions would be grateful.

Merry Christmas.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: CHANCE TO BUY A 9MM TOOL HEAD
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 10:20:25 pm »
You have to decide high, but it is a caliber not as common as the other two.

Sent you a PM ..
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:23:38 am »
At that price it will take you about 2,000 9mm rounds to just break even on the aquisition cost of the tool head and dies at current prices of aprox $13 per 50 rounds (factory loads) and in addition you have to take into account your cost of bullets, powder and primers.

What type (brand) of dies are in this tool head?  Is there a taper crimp die?  

I do have a 9mm set up on one of my Stars.  Since I shoot 9mm regularly, it is used quite alot so I am glad I have it.  However, some folks at the range view me as an oddball for reloading my own 9mm as the price of factory 9mm is among the lowest of the center fire pistol ammos.

However, I have worked up some accurate loads and cast my own 9mm bullets and my 9mm ammo is certainly some of the most accurate at the range.

So if you shoot 9mm a bit then I would say go for it!  Good Luck & Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:25:57 am by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 01:32:06 pm »
While there is an up front cost, there is always a payback where you come out ahead. In the case of Star, the quality is such, it will last for whatever length of time you use it. You could also resell it later when you reduced the cost and earned some savings from its use.

As Art noted, it all depends on how many rounds you load over time, as well as componet cost.  Also why you reload..

While there may be a source for $ 13.00 9mm, it certainly is not permanenet, and I speculate not factory target ammunition. It will eventually go up,  but so do the components. Besides reloading cost savings, there is the satisfaction of producing your own ammo to your own specs.

As Art noted, he found a combination that provides very accurate results that he likes. I reload .45, .38, 45lc, & 9mm.on my Star. I believe my loads, will hold there own with most if not all factory stuff I have shot. My guns like my loads and function well and are very accurate. Certainly the guns and loads shoot better than I can shoot them.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:19:32 pm »
I would rather this deal had the shellplate than the head. In other words w/ dies & shellplate you can load. W/o the shellplate you have spent almost $500 and can't load anything!

One of our contrbuters i smaking shellplates....Bruce is that you? One of th4 die makers offers star dies from time to time. I would investigate this alterantive too.

Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 05:56:20 pm »
Rich Daniels (barreltester) is the one you want for shell plates.  I think he was selling them for about $100 each, but others would know better.  I've never had the need to buy a shell plate from Mr. Daniels.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 05:59:49 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 12:20:17 am »
You don't always get a chance to buy a new Star tool head with 9mm dies. Shell plates are somtimes available on e-bay for 9mm. I'd grab it.

mellon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 04:12:20 pm »
hello,

im looking to buy a star universal reloading 9mm tool head and shell plate. anybody have any idea where i can purchase such things? also, i have other progressive reloaders i can trade for.

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 04:21:57 pm »
I have about 3 shell plates from Rich Daniels.  They are top notch.  Really well made and
hardened.  I am using his in 9mm,  44 Magnum and .223 for 38 SuperComp.
Shell plates and tool heads and dies are key components for the flexible Star Universal.
Happy Holidays Again to All... this time 2012!

BTW, this year I reloaded 5,400 9mm rounds, primarily using HP-38 as the propellant in 4.5g over
124g RN lead cast bullets.

I have run into a few recent cases that have had the primers crimped into them.
Not such a nice thing.  Depriming pins go CRACK....

Art in CT
Art In Connecticut

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »
You can get some aftermarket dies and shell plates.  Shell plates run about 100 bucks plus shipping and a set of dies(sizer, expander, seater, crimp) will run a little over 200 bucks I think.

Its not origanal but equally as good.  I have a set of Replica dies from FC60. Very nice work.

So for about $350 you could get the dies and shell plate............unless you look real hard and buy large package deals and piece out the parts you dont need.

Tool heads have sold here with a powder measure for $240.00

9mm is not too common but they can be found. It took me a while to chase down the same thing but I finally found a nice set.