Author Topic: PRIMERS  (Read 13443 times)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
PRIMERS
« on: April 17, 2009, 07:18:27 pm »
Does anyone have any factual information about the current status of primer availability around the country? I know that prices are very high comparred to the past few years, but even the large wholesale vendors have little information to share about relief from the shortage problem. Locally (Western Montana) there are no Small Rifle (standard) Primers to be had. Magnum Small Rifle primers are somewhat available but at a premium price. In early April I spoke to a friend in Tulsa who had attended the big Indian Nations Gun Show and he related that primers were scarce in NE Oklahoma. Last weekend he called to say that some fresh primers were starting to appear in the local (Tulsa) market.

I am particularly interested in the availability of Olin (Winchester), Remington, and Federal -- Large and Small (standard) Pistol Primers. This morning I "heard" the most unusual story that Federal had contracted with CCI to produce new primers for them. Lots of misinformation has/is circulating in the void of credible statements from the producers. Do anyone have any factual information to share based upon reliable sources? Thanks//   

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: PRIMERS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:15:26 am »
Federal and CCI are owned by the same company, which is ATK,  my wife retired from CCI, ATK owns RCBS, Weaver, outers, Oregon Chain, Speer, plus several other companys, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:45:19 am »
I have been watching the problem for a time you can get imfo on cast boolits.com here in Kalifornia it is no mass on primers. I see primers go for $80   to $ 100 dollars a 1000 that is crazy. they will tell you that people are hording them and I ask where do you go to buy them if people are hording. I do know that the reloading company are getting them. My rang where I shoot has a reloading company and the do supply a lot of amo here. and reloads are going up too. I think they are running the price up and it will work. I have the main office of wolf amo not far from me and as you know they make primers I called them and they said it will be a few months be for they will be getting any in

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:01:35 pm »
One of the large reloading/ammo suppliers in the Tampa's Pete Fl area said a yr or so ago that Fed proding lines are running 24-7 with nothing intended to the retail sector. I understood this included at least .22 rimfire  ammo & primers.

Our club purchases modest amts of powder & primers & the lady who puts together the orders has been calling suppliers or "leads" sev time daily attempting to obtain a supply. Lately they had limited purchases to 1k per member.

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:55 am »
As of last week, 8/20/2009 one of the largest gun shops here in Connecticut (Hoffman's in Newington) had a massive supply of primers in every configuration.  Even Benchrest rifle in large and small were in stock. 

Just prior however, there we no primers at Hoffman's other than shotshell.  The brands were CCI, Winchester, Remington and Federal.  Hoffman's was limiting per customer sales at 2000 primers per day. 

So I suspect that the supply "may" have hopefully increased and that with the local amount of primers in stock that the demand will be quenched.

We can only hope....
Art In Connecticut

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 12:57:25 pm »
Just some info on what "2150" already knows, and some reference posted elsewhere on this forum.

While I was out at Perry for Pistol Phase, Champion's Choice had pistol primers for $ 28.00 a thousand. Sold out first day.
Fin, Feather, & Fur put out primers, (quite a few) at $ 40.00 per thousand. Sold out in one day, and had a waiting line to get in the store to buy. There was a purchase limit, but do not know what it was, as I did not buy any.

I still have enough to carry me into next year, but then who knows. Perhaps this will clear up like the last primer shortage. If it is hording, that can only account for so much.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:57:48 pm »
Wideners got wolf primers in