Author Topic: .45 G.A.P. on the Star??  (Read 9719 times)

Bill Pole

• Active Members
    • View Profile
.45 G.A.P. on the Star??
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:36:41 pm »
Has anyone loaded any of these on a Star?? I know that the only difference is in case length...just wondering if the taper crip die will adjust far enough down.
Thanks, Bill

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: .45 G.A.P. on the Star??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:29:15 pm »
As I recall, the 45 GAP case is about the same length as a 9mm or 40 S&W case.   As you indicated, I think the only problem will be the taper crimp, and that will depend on the particular taper crimp die.   

I have purchased several of the C-H Tool and Die 45 ACP taper crimp dies for machines I have reconditioned.  Although the quality is very good, I think they are either shorter, or the working part of the die is futher up in the die.  As a result, I've had to screw them down so that the top of the die is flush with the top of the tool head.   That's fine for 45 ACP, but might not give you enough to work with for 45 GAP.   I have an original Star taper crimp die in the machine I use for Bullseye loads, and that die still has quite a few threads showing above the top of the tool head.   I think that die could be adjusted down enough to handle 45 GAP
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Bill Pole

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: .45 G.A.P. on the Star??
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »

Thanks much for the info....in the process of clearing space to remount my Star now...will post how it works out.
Bill