Author Topic: 38 Special load for 50 yards with W-231  (Read 89173 times)

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 38 Special load for 50 yards with W-231
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 08:27:00 am »
Last, does anyone else other than Clark sell magazines for this gun?

Triple K makes magazines that are copies of the Colt mag.  I have two of them and they work just fine.  They run about $50 from Champions Choice.
High Standard obtained the original machining from Colt for their mags.  I have seen them at Camp Perry and they are very very nice.  I think HS sells them for around $69.  www.highstandard.com

I did have a problem with one of the Triple K mags when I got it, but Triple K stands behind their product and they replaced the defective mag with no problems.  It was actually slightly oversize and would not fit in the gun to where rounds would feed properly.  I sent it to San Diego and had the new one in about 4 days.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:33:01 am by CDRT »
Distinguished Pistol Shot

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:18 am »
Champions Choice lists Triple K 38 Spl mags for $41, hardly unreasonable, especially compared to some of the quotes I've heard for used Colts.

The Giles modified mag I bought sounds similar to the Clarks, cuts in the sides. I ground a Colt SS 38 Super to duplicate what Giles did & it works.

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:54 am »
Appreciate the tip.  I have not seen Triple K's 38spl mag in Champion's Choice catalog but will look for them.  $41 is a good price.  Two magazines I have now are marked Colt but look identical to the Triple K.  They're probably are Triple K with Colt's name stamped on it. 

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 11:59:46 am »
Bummer
A lot of good imfo there I love it.Good pictures of mag. and I see you got both colt 38 sp mags.  the one with the cut in the fingers at top  I used for a 32, had to bend them in a little. I think the kart barrel is a 38 super chamber for 38 sp a little time back there was a new one on the board and it was ramp, and it was .355 which is 38 super that is why I think it is 38 super I  did not go after it. There is a company out her that makes the 38 sp mag but it does not work worth a  dam. You know we dont have the gun smith like we use to have to do the work to make a good 38 sp. I think they want to sell you a 9mm or 38 super and they say that is what you want. There is nothing like a 38 sp auto

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 03:09:11 pm »
Starman,

I have 3 different styles of mags.  The topmost picture is an unknown make.  It worked much better before my  ruptured case incident.  I like it because of the aluminum follower.  The typical modified 38 super mags are okay but need new followers now.  They feed well and work great but don't hold the slide open.  The followers are worn out.  The Colt magazines are Triple K brand. 

There is nothing like a 1911-38spl.  It's definitely a fun gun.  There is a gentleman who subscribes to the BE list that has a 1911-32sw Long he made.  His test target was very impressive and this looks to be another good caliber to get chambered in the 1911. 

FYI - Ed Masaki did tune my gun a few years ago.  I don't know if he does conversions or will build one on demand but you may want to ask him.  I will have to contact Kart and find out more about their barrel. 

-s

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 04:41:08 pm »
If you like to see a couple of different style magazines, I posted pics at targettalk a few months back.   
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=18641 
There are 3 different styles of 38spl mags

My 38  super mag is close to the one posted above. I didn't cut it & the "notch" I ground is deeper than that shown. I find both 1911 38's to be very accurate. Functioning hasn't been a problem. They are pleasant & enjoyable to shoot.

This thread has produced, for me, much information of interest. The exchange has been free of the smart alec stuff that I continually encountered when using Bullseye-L.

Thank you gents !!

Ron H

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 10:41:22 am »
Ron,

Don't give up on the BE list!  Yes, sometimes replies to queries are terse and abrupt.  Sometimes, the members are condescending when they respond.   But there is much good information there and many of the members good honest people.  Sometimes we just have to separate the chaff from the wheat to find what we are looking for. 

Unfortunely, I don't think people realize the limitations of communicating via email.  We miss a large part of the message as we don't see the person we are speaking with face-to-face nor their body language, and hand gestures.  (I learned this from our host here). 

-s

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 10:58:44 am »
bummer
I could not say it any better
      did you check NCG gas gun?  they make some nice guns but never seen one it is in Ohio www.ncggasguns.com

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 09:13:52 pm »
Starman,

No, I have heard about it in the past but thought the company was still testing the gun.  Do you know if the unit is in production?  If so, I wonder how accurate it is? 

-s

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 12:05:36 am »
NCS Gas Gun

2 or more yrs ago there was a competitor at our matches with 2 of them, both 45. He had had been shooting one for a time. It was the unit which you attach to your gun (forget their terminology). It was in VERY rough condition, screwdriver scratches etc. The other was a complete 45. He shot 22 only. I only shot 1800 that day & he asked me to shoot the new one for my opinion, but only 1 shot. As I recall it was nice appearing gun & he had very light loads, one of the supposed advantages. He had just got it back as the slide had broken right after he rec'd it. They replaced it-no hassle.

From what I could learn jacketed bullets were needed as the lube fouled the gas port. After he left other shooters said he had lots of trouble with it when he had been at earlier matches.

A talented shooter-pistolsmith from Ohio has begun shooting one in 45. I'll try to find out more about his results and post it.

Ron

PS: That character who signs himself as NSK Co on the BE list is enough to kill a forum himself. I've talked to guys who were squadded next to him & they say he's terrible to be near in a match.

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 01:06:08 am »
Amazing.  So NCS  is producing their conversion kits and also a complete pistol for sale.  The concept looks to be pretty straightforward.  Although the thought of lube clogging the gas port is not particularly appealing. :)  Especially if it jams up during a timed or rapid fire string. 

I did request the company's brochure and product literature as I hope to read more and see what they have to say about it.  Especially in a 32SW Long chambering. 

I understand your concern about NSK as others have shared similar opinions.  While my business with him has always been cordial, I have never competed with him.  If you would like to expand on this topic; I suggest we  take the conversation offline? 

-s

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 06:22:58 pm »
Has anyone tried VV N310 in either the .38 Special or NRA target pistols built as .38 Supers? I have a Shockey Super built in NRA Bullseye style with Bo-Mar heavy rib. It came with a H&G #73 bullet mould that drops raw bullets around .3575. The original data from Dick Shockey suggested about 2.8 - 2.9 grains of Bullseye with the 145 grain cast SWC. That load cycled the slide without feeding or extraction problems; it was "soft" on the Slide bump and it locked the Slide back with certainty. Recently, I tried VV N310 as an alternative to the new Bullseye and found that 3.0 - 3.1 grains was accurate and reliable, cleaner burning, and consistant flowing in the Star. I saw Charles Petty article about "The Other .38 Super" in a current publication on 1911 pistols. Mr. Petty writes well and appears to have a strong background in NRA Bullseye shooting. His article shows the various modifications offered thru the years by quality pistolsmiths in their attempts to convert Super magazines to feed flush seated .38 Specials. Mr. Petty mentions Bob Day who was the master pistolsmith at Lackland, AFB -- Day did some innovative work in target pistols and offered a .22 LR conversion about the same time that Freddie Kart introduced his unit to the Marine Corp. It's good to see the interest in, and trade information about, the quality target pistols of the 1960's-70's. I would like to hear from anyone who shoots a .38 Super NRA pistol. Does anyone have good information about the current status of the Bo-Mar firm? Thanks/Brad.     

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 06:34:11 pm »
I failed to mention a second great article in the G&A current publication on the 1911 pistols. Gus Norcross of the Maine National Guard Unit wrote a fine article on his experiences at the Nashville armorers' school. He discloses the formula for Red Oil that the AMU mixed for proper lubrication of its target pistols. I believe this is the same stuff that we were given in plastic squeeze bottles at Camp Perry in the early 1980's. Enjoy, it's a good source of real information! Does anyone know how to contact Mr. Norcross?

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 09:03:18 pm »
Does anyone have good information about the current status of the Bo-Mar firm?

Bo-Mar is out of business.  At least that's the last word I got and even Brownells no longer carries their ribs.  Bob passed away unexpectedly last year and IIRC it was an auto accident, but I could be wrong about that.

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 09:45:51 am »
For those who commented about Bo-Mar's demise, there is this company who are making a Bo-Mar type sight.  http://www.championgunsights.com/
They have the std rear sights for hardball type guns, but I did not see the full length rib sight like I have on my Clark Heavy Slides.