Author Topic: 2.7 powder charge bar  (Read 21047 times)

rcbloom2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
2.7 powder charge bar
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:03:43 pm »
How can I find out what weights of what powders this powder charge bar will throw?

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 2.7 powder charge bar
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:11:27 pm »
Use a seperate powder scale, throw a charge in whatever powder bar your using then weigh it on the scale...pretty simple. Pete

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:14:01 pm »
You can also try leaving a message for member Ed Looney.
He did have a size/weight conversion calculation of various powder charges,
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:24:06 pm »
Rich Daniels in CT is making universal powder bars now. It's a nice item to have and he does a very good job of making them. He has shell plates on ebay right now. He custom makes different parts for the Star. You could contact him through there it you were interested. Pete

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »
The attached link is includes the powder charge chart for the Lee Autodisk.   Check the powder drop of one powder that you have with a scale, then find that charge on the Lee chart.   You can then look up and down that chart in the same column and find the charge weight of equivalent charges of other powders.   Don't assume that your 2.7 BE slide drops 2.7 grains of Bullseye.  It may or may not.  That's why you have to start out by weighing a charge.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:53:26 pm »
Very good advice, none of my charge bars are exact when i get them, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

rcbloom2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:30:05 pm »
I need to know what charges of specific powders the bar throws before I go out an buy powder.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:59:20 am »
You don't own any powder????   It doesn't matter which powder you use, but you need to determine the volume of the hole in your powder slide.  You can do that by throwing some charges of any powder and finding them on the Lee chart.   If you can't do that, you can determing the volume of the hole by measuring the diameter of the hole, and using the data from one of my earlier posts  http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php/topic,253.0.html   Volume of a cylinder = 3.1415 X (radius) squared X Height.  Measure the diameter of the hole on both the top and bottom of the slide and take the average.   The holes are ususally tapered.

As a side note, 2.7 BE is the classic load for a 148 grain 38 Special Hollow Base Wadcutter.   If the powder slide has not been modified you should be able to use it for that load.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rcbloom2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 02:33:31 pm »
You don't own any powder????   It doesn't matter which powder you use, but you need to determine the volume of the hole in your powder slide.  You can do that by throwing some charges of any powder and finding them on the Lee chart.   If you can't do that, you can determing the volume of the hole by measuring the diameter of the hole, and using the data from one of my earlier posts  http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php/topic,253.0.html   Volume of a cylinder = 3.1415 X (radius) squared X Height.  Measure the diameter of the hole on both the top and bottom of the slide and take the average.   The holes are ususally tapered.

As a side note, 2.7 BE is the classic load for a 148 grain 38 Special Hollow Base Wadcutter.   If the powder slide has not been modified you should be able to use it for that load.

I have been reloading since 1977 when I was in the 7th grade.  I do not own any powder at this time, I moved from the People's Democratic Republic of NY to Nevada, all of my stuff is in storage.  I bought a STAR off ebay because I could not conrol myself any longer.  I have a Dillon 1050 in NY, and boxes of molds, a foot locker full of powder, but I wanted to get loading here in Vegas before I go back to NY in June to pick up my reloading factory and antique Harley police bike.  That is why I do not have powder.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 05:09:50 pm »
OK, that explains it.  Most people don't start reloading with a Star, so it was hard to imagine how you wouldn't already have at least some powder.   Any way, I hope you were able to make sense of my post.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

catmandu

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 09:32:48 pm »
What powders are you interested in?
I made up an Excell spreadsheet to calculate theoretical dwop weights.
I clarify this because the Lee chart is a little on the lite side.
So sometimes the actual weight can be off a tenth.

Paul in WNY

rcbloom2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 05:37:10 pm »
What powders are you interested in?
I made up an Excell spreadsheet to calculate theoretical dwop weights.
I clarify this because the Lee chart is a little on the lite side.
So sometimes the actual weight can be off a tenth.

Paul in WNY

If you could email it to me, I will take a look at it.  I am going to use Bullseye.  Where in WNY are you at?  I was born and raised in Niagara Falls.