Author Topic: Should I Stick With Star?  (Read 4720 times)

rkittine

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Should I Stick With Star?
« on: January 08, 2021, 08:44:53 am »
I currently only have one Star Press which is a Progressive set up for .32 S&W Long. I now want to set up for .45 and .38 SWC and WC. Don’t need any other high volume pistol reloaders. What do you suggest:

A rebuilt Star Universal by Star Machine in NJ
A used Star Universal from someone here!
A brand new Dillon?

Thanks Bob

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Should I Stick With Star?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 08:19:57 am »
Asking which way to go on a Star forum, is going to get you a Star answer.
Anyway, do not believe you can go wrong with either of your first two options. You already have one, so you know the quality and reliability. One Universal with additional heads and you are good to go for everything you want. 

In my opinion, the main reason to consider a Dillon is that startup cost should be a little less of an investment, but depending on which model and options, it could cost just as much if not more.

And based on die availability, etc. you could be up and running with a Star a little quicker.
Good luck
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 11:22:00 am »
i personally can't think of why I would change to a different progressive press other than the fact that I would be able to buy generic die sets at a lower price than the cost of Star parts.

I did consider buying a single stage press when I had hundreds of old shells to decap in order to wash them. It would also allow me to use a powder measure to fill casings individually and get away from needing a bunch of charge bars.

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:25:18 am by mikefamig »

Cousin Daniel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 08:48:59 pm »
It's all about what you want, I am a romantic at heart and creating ambiance is at the center of everything I do when it comes to vintage items whether it's reloading or clothes.

If I wanted to feed vintage pistols I would certainly stick with star and get one of Bruce's rebuild units and never worry again.

If I was feeding a sun machine gun I would just get a dillon just for convenience sake...... I know this from experience Macs are fat kids that want to eat.

Dan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 08:33:11 pm »
If you are feeding subguns in any quantity you need a Camdex.  :)

That said, I feed my subguns with ammo from a Stars and I have a Camdex.

The only subgun I have that runs as fast as the old MACs is the 180. Thankfully that is in 22 RF so I don't have to load it.  ;D

Cousin Daniel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 02:37:06 pm »
If you are feeding subguns in any quantity you need a Camdex.  :)

That said, I feed my subguns with ammo from a Stars and I have a Camdex.

The only subgun I have that runs as fast as the old MACs is the 180. Thankfully that is in 22 RF so I don't have to load it.  ;D

Those 180s are the greatest things since sliced bread, my first sub gun is a M11 9mm and I would give anything to redo that choice.  22 subs are annoying to make run right but once they are set WATCH OUT.