Author Topic: Loading .223 on Star  (Read 11800 times)

llwsgn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Loading .223 on Star
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:44:08 am »
Hello,
I'm preparing to load 223 on my Star Universal. Does anyone know if parts, custom or otherwise, such as the following available within this forum?
1. 223 expander threaded for Star
2. Linkages modified for additional leverage
3. Custom made taper crimp die for 223

Many thanks! Happy shooting!
Larry

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Loading .223 on Star
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:00:36 pm »
Hi Larry,

A while back, there was a user who had a machine shop make up a number of expanders for .223.   If you do a search, you should be able to find that thread.    I have one from another source.   I'm not planning to sell it, but if Dave Wilson wants to copy it, I would be happy to lend it to him. (not that he would need it.)

For the tool head that you have which is uses 7/8" dies, you really don't need an expander.   7/8" sizing dies include an expander ball that expands the neck while sizing and depriming.

Dillon included some special links with his SuperStar kit.   They did not increase the leverage.  They only made it so you could raise the tool head about 1/8" to 1/4" higher.....until the tool head contacts the crank shaft assembly.   You really don't need those links to load .223.

There are a number of members on this forum who are loading .223 on Stars.  Maybe they will pipe in with some recommendations.

I'm pretty new to rifle loading myself, but I thought the bullet was held in place by neck tension on a .223.  At least that is what I have been doing, and they shoot pretty darn good.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:27:18 pm »
Larry, the bullet is held in place by neck pressure, and the standard links work just fine, if you want to crimp, you can do it in the seater die, George.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:29:52 pm by 333OKH »
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

llwsgn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »
I see. Thanks Bruce and George. I was looking through some older posts regarding 223, and one of the guys mentioned that the tooling lowered with less handle pressure when he eliminated the internal expander and went to an external one. When loading for my 30-06 I typically neck size, and seat w/o a crimp. The rifle that I want to use the Star for is a new AR. The owners handbook indicates that it's prefered with this weapon to crimp using bullets made with a canalure, (I seen a couple store bought rounds in a buddies Bushmaster crawl back into the brass while on the range last week). I'm assuming as well that for reliability I'll ultimately be needing to full length resize cases. I'm thinking also that if I wind up expanding the neck with a seperate expander above the primer station, I'll need to recess some of the metal in the tool head around the threaded expander hole.

You know I really feel fortunate to have the this forum available to me as I'm exploring progressive reloading on the Star. The members willingness to share knowlege makes it that much more awesome, not to mention the availability of the parts that I've needed to come up to speed.

Thank You very much!

Incidently, my goal is to load a milspec 62 gr fmjbt with a powder called TAC to more or less military specification. I'm hoping the longer bullet won't create any issues with the seating distance of the Star.

Again thanks!

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:17:24 pm »
Attached is a picture of the .223 expander that I have.   You do not need to cut a recess in the tool head to use something like this, but the case mouth of a .223 would be up in the tool head when it is expanded.

This expander is actually a prototype made by the same machinist who did the work for Dillon.   Dillon settled on a different design for his SuperStar kit.   Some day I will post pictures of all of the pieces and parts for the SuperStar kit, but no time for that now.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

llwsgn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »
From the reading that I've been doing on the forum it's been suggested that an expander above the prime station helps hold the casing for priming as well.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »
While doing my research, I noticed that Lee makes a Factory Crimp die for .223 which is supposed to crimp into the canalure as done with military ammunition.   The die is very inexpensive, but you would have to have that last hole drilled and tapped for 7/8-14, or turn the die down to Star's 11/16-24 thread.

Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
From the reading that I've been doing on the forum it's been suggested that an expander above the prime station helps hold the casing for priming as well.

It's certianly true with every other caliber so I don't know why it wouldn't hold true for .223,.... but that doesn't mean it's necessary.   Other members might be able to offer more insight.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

llwsgn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:12:12 pm »
Appreciate it Bruce.
Seems like there is someone on here that could retread the Lee 223 die. Might also have to mill the insertion end of the die for the shell plate from what I can gather.