Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Looking for 30 Carbine, 45 ACP, & 9mm dies/shellplates. Have 38 SPL & 44 mag to trade or $.

Can be contacted drNOSPAMkuntz(a t) Gmail
Star Reloaders / Re: Half the Mounting Holes Drilled Out to 3/8"
« Last post by Dan on September 24, 2021, 04:24:27 pm »
I would just press bushings in or drill and tap for bushings before I welded on Aluminum.

You would have to TIG it and remachine. The work likely exceeds the cost of the part.
« Last post by FOR_Star on September 24, 2021, 02:13:01 pm »
Just replace the base. 
Star Machine Works should have replacement bases.  At least they did when I inquired a few months back.

That is one way.  I'm sure Bruce could fit a new base if I sent it back to him.

Does anyone know if the base is cast aluminum, or is it cast zinc-like metal similar to the powder slide housings?
And, if aluminum, could a welder experienced in aluminum welding close up the holes so they could be re-drilled and countersunk? (obviously, without FUBARing the base)
Bruce and/or Dave, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Warren
« Last post by Richard Hubbard on September 23, 2021, 05:07:19 pm »
Just replace the base. 
Star Machine Works should have replacement bases.  At least they did when I inquired a few months back.
« Last post by FOR_Star on September 23, 2021, 03:10:29 pm »
Any thoughts on a somewhat reasonable way to return these two holes to their original dimensions? (1/4" hardware, with countersink)
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Re: Star univeresal question
« Last post by NYKenn on September 23, 2021, 09:17:37 am »
You can also look on this site for my listings of past sales, etc. This was Ebay, Gunbroker and other sale sites.

It has not been updated for a few years as sales have been consistent as the prices and have pretty much remained steady. However, I have noted that prices appear to be dropping slightly. I think this is due to aging out of Star owners and a smaller group of newly interested reloaders considering a Star.  I suppose that diminishing participation and interest in Precision Bullseye pistol as a sport is also a contributing factor.   
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Re: Star univeresal question
« Last post by Dan on September 21, 2021, 10:02:50 pm »
What someone is willing to pay.  ;D

Condition will affect price. You might look on Ebay or Gunbroker to see what they are selling for.
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Star univeresal question
« Last post by extract44 on September 19, 2021, 07:48:12 pm »
Hello all,
I have a star universal with 45 cal. and 38cal. heads. speed handle/ auto indexer/ shell feeder. mounted on a gray steel base with primer catcher underneath. with all primer tubes small and large with primer drop tubes. Extra powder slides etc. I have never tried the shell feeder but it should work. I do not have the primer change out tool but use a screw driver.
What would be a fair price? Plus about 100 to ship.
I have pics.

Thanks for your help.
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Re: WANTED, Need 9mm Luger Shell plate
« Last post by rbwillnj on September 19, 2021, 07:42:36 pm »
Gentlemen

We still produce new shell plates and dies at Star Machine Works.   I have sold quite a few 9MM shell plates, Die Sets and 9MM machines this year.   With the ammunition shortage, everyone who said 9MM was too inexpensive to bother reloading suddenly wanted to reload 9MM, so we sold out.  Got it back in stock and sold out again.  We will have it back in stock again at some point and it may very well sell out again.  I have a number of backorders already.

We also produce the rest of the calibers produced by Star and have a number of them in stock, but it's been tough keeping anything in stock this year.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Re: WANTED, Need 9mm Luger Shell plate
« Last post by Dan on September 18, 2021, 10:24:18 pm »
You would likely be better off finding someone to laser you a blank and then finish machine. You could wire them and machine too.

You will likely need to machine, surface grind, heat treat, and post heat treat grind. A2 will be the cheapest of the tool steels to use. I would likely use 01, good fit for the application.

I am on the hunt for tooling as well. At this point I am thinking of just tooling up and making it. Have full scale machine shop and lasers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10