Author Topic: Now I'm really confused  (Read 6482 times)

straycat23

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Now I'm really confused
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:31:45 pm »
A couple of months ago, I was sold a Star Progressive Reloader(.38spl only)in really good shape, but it came with a 1/2" powder slide housing base mounted on the reloader and powder slide with a bushing for 4.5 gr BE. It also came with what I think is a "0" powder slide housing base and powder slide of unknown capacity or powder throw. Both were unmarked. The "0" base and slide supposedly were originally mounted to the machine when it was owned by a Police dept outside Boston. The slide is 1/4" thick and the base is made for a 1/4" slide. Both seem to fit the reloader. I understand from the Star literature that the 1/4" slides and bases are made for the Progressive Press only. I've been looking a a DIY on disassembly of a Universal Reloader, and now, I think, that is what I have, but I'm not sure. Some are using the terms Progressive and Universal interchangeably. How can I tell for sure what I have? I am really confused ???

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Now I'm really confused
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:21 pm »
This thread has some pictures that show the difference between a Progressive and a Universal.  The shell locator straps are the main thing differentiating the two machines.  There are other differences, but they don't stand out visually.

http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?topic=926.msg3514#msg3514

I'm not sure if the No.0 housing was exclusive to Progressives.   It may have been used on older Progressives and Universals.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

straycat23

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Now I'm really confused
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »
Thanks. The pictures helped. I have a Progressive. I think the powder slide housing bases will fit both Progressive and Universal since I have a "0" that originally came on the Progressive and a 1/2" mounted that according to the Star parts list would only be for the Universal. I'm thinking that "00" slide housing bases would work too for both models unless somebody knows differently.