Author Topic: Introducing Myself  (Read 11959 times)

SitmoM

• View Profile
Introducing Myself
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:57:27 am »
A friendly Hello to all of you here on the Forum. 

I am retired now but I have been a user of a Star Universal since about 1973. 

I have not loaded on it for a few years but just this morning set up for .44 Magnums.  I have one powder slide for that caliber for 10 grains of Unique.  This was the slide for the old Hercules Unique.  The new Unique by Alliant Powder is somewhat cleaner burning.  The charge thrown with the new powder is about 9.3 or 9.2.  I did not settle the powder enough to start getting accurate charges but that appears what it will settle at. 

Have any of you experience this difference between the old and new Unique?

SitmoM

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Myself
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 04:32:17 pm »
Decades ago a friend was complaining about all the various powders he was using.  Quite a few.

I looked up loads for everything I was and wanted to load for and decided that for me I could use just Unique.  It works well in my rifles and revolvers and is particularly well suited for really old military rifles.  So I started buying just unique.

I've got 120 pounds of it in the garage and another 16 pounds on order.  I've probably shot up 80 or so pounds in the last couple of years.

Old or new, works just as well. 

I've probably put 20,000 rounds through my 44 magnums.  I can look up the charge if you like but I think it is around 9 grains.

So I love it!
former progressive press collector

SitmoM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:09:40 pm »
Hi Ken:? Thanks for the post.? I have used 10 grains on speer 240's for some time.? My slide thru 10 grains of the Hercules Unique but it seems to throw around 9.2 grains or so of the new Unique by Alliant.? I read where they cleaned it up from the old formula but the amount you use would be the same as the old Hercules Unique.? In cleaning it up a little I was wondering if the density did not change some to make this slight difference in what my 10 grain slide will meter.?
Have you notice any difference??
I went to the hardware store to see if I could get some fine crocus cloth or similar but they were closed.? I have a 0.3960 cleveland reamer from my machine shop days and if the cloth was fine enough I was going to gently and slowly open up the hole.? I don't have any of my machine tools anymore or I good bore it open enough.?
BTW...that is a lot of Unique to shoot.? :-}? The 10 grain hole miked .4000 BTW. 
SitmoM

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 05:43:40 pm »
SitmoM

Do you need a case feeder or indexer for your Star loader? Keep me in mind if you or someone you know would be interested in more information.

Thanks TDO
TDO'NEILL

SitmoM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 07:09:57 pm »
I have a Hulme Case feeder for .38's and 45's, and I don't want one for the .44.  I index with my thumb. 
Thanks for the offer.

SitmoM

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:28:07 pm »
Hi Ken:? Thanks for the post.? I have used 10 grains on speer 240's for some time.? My slide thru 10 grains of the Hercules Unique but it seems to throw around 9.2 grains or so of the new Unique by Alliant.? I read where they cleaned it up from the old formula but the amount you use would be the same as the old Hercules Unique.? In cleaning it up a little I was wondering if the density did not change some to make this slight difference in what my 10 grain slide will meter.?
Have you notice any difference??
I went to the hardware store to see if I could get some fine crocus cloth or similar but they were closed.? I have a 0.3960 cleveland reamer from my machine shop days and if the cloth was fine enough I was going to gently and slowly open up the hole.? I don't have any of my machine tools anymore or I good bore it open enough.?
BTW...that is a lot of Unique to shoot.? :-}? The 10 grain hole miked .4000 BTW.?

Actually when I looked it up I've shot 92 pounds of Unique.  I've got another 112 pounds.  Put 28,000+ rounds through my various 44 magnums.

Most of what I've shot is using SAECO #420 which is a 190 grain linotype bullet.  Use 9.3 grains of Unique.  Never could see any difference between the old Unique and the new.
SitmoM

former progressive press collector