Author Topic: need for powder drain ????  (Read 7234 times)

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
need for powder drain ????
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:37 am »
NYKENN;
 Found one of ur questions on an old post. It is a good one.
 Since l have made and sold some to members of forum, will try to answer
 Started as a method of saving powder when time came to change/empty powder.
 Realy goofed up on first go around. Then the idea of  no powder being left between the powder slide bar and  bottom of powder magazine,became a question. It had to removed by what ever method available. Then the question of the slotted screws holding the housing down,becoming worn by a sloppy screwdriver being repeatedly used. The changing of powder slides can be done without removing top of housing. When only the amount of powder needs to be changed,like 2.7 grs wadcutters to 3.5 round nose .38,s. Use 10/32 allenheads instead.
 Safety factor; possibly no powder. That l leave up to the loader. with or without drain ; his/her problem.
 Convenience; It can be a drain or a cutoff, by inserting a plug in drain tube, remove when putting powder back in container.
 Simplisity in use and construction was my main objective.
 Cost is another .
 Have tried to attach pictures to this forum, but that is one point where l,m stumped

regards; maurilew  (Ma)

maurilew

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: need for powder drain ????
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »
Maurilew

You make some very good points.
I agree that some of the benefit will aid in safety when the operator may not.

I definitely agree with the possible wear and damage to the constant removal of the powder screws.

I have always removed the head, emptied the powder tube and then worked the slide a few times for the remainder. It does take a little effort, but it works, and does not require removal of the assembly. A benefit of having each Head with a powder tube, etc.

I may have to consider a shutoff or two in the future. I added another head and do not have a powder tube, which will require switching between the heads. Will keep you in mind.

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

z_e_n

Re: need for powder drain ????
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:20:02 am »
When i got my old star, it had no powder magazine tube, since i wasn't able to find plastic or acrylic tube which would fit. I made an adapter to fit my Lee powder magazine which has a shut-off valve.  It ain't pretty, but is very convenient to use.

I tilted it a bit since the diameter of the lee powder magazine is bigger.

just finished loading my first 5000 rounds.  ;D