Author Topic: Safety Cam? What's it for?  (Read 12826 times)

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Safety Cam? What's it for?
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:25:59 am »
I have  a couple of questions regarding my Star(.45acp with crimp die).
What is the safety cam for?
What is the rod with the angled face for? Just past the station where the crimp die is.
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 04:16:58 pm »
Hi Ray,
I saw your posts on the BE list and here regarding the Star.  Let me see if I can answer your question(s):

The rod with the angled face is used to push on the base lever arm to seat primers.   If you flip the star sideways, you can see the action.  

The safety cam is used in place of the last station.  It requires the user to push/reset it when a loaded round is taken from that station so you don't double charge a case.  

Building a loading bench for the Star is more complex.  Everyone has different needs and wants.  I think Dave Salyer suggested mounting it a 45 degrees.  All I can say is try it, experiment, fiddle around with it until you are happy.  Some suggestions -
I have drilled holes in my bench whereby the rounds reaching the last station drops through the bench into a cardboard box lined with a soft towel.  
I also drilled a hole under the bench below the spent primer area.  Spent primers are catch in a jar.  The jar is held in place by a lid that is attached to the underside of the table.  
My Star is tilted at 45 degrees with a roller handle.  All I can say is it works for me as I use my left hand to seat bullets.  
Height is always an issue with me.  I rebuilt the table several times over the past 20 years.  Each time, I lower it by an inch and find it more comfortable.  If I lower it anymore, ot will be perfect for any munchkins from the wizard of oz.  
Hope you can use some of this info.  
 -Steve

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 05:46:48 am »
Steve,
Thank you for your reply. The angled pin I am refering to isn't for the primer seater. It is before that and is number 38 on the parts list, "Shell Plate Dowel Pin". I guess it provides a final registration between the tool plate and the shell plate before the dies begin to engage.
My machine has the Hulme case feeder and a crimp die. I can't see where the safety cam can even work with all this other stuff in the way. I'll probably remove and store it.
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 11:45:40 pm »
Ray,
If the shell plate dowel pin doesn't actuate the primer rocker arm, what does?  I have to look at my Star and get back to you on this.  Must be getting older as I thought that was the purpose of the rod.  

I took off my safety cam when I got a taper crimp die for the last station.  Took me close to 3 mos to retrain myself on this station.  The old adage about "old habits die hard" is true (in my case).  
-Steve

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Shell plate dowell pin
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 06:40:07 am »
Steve,

The rod that acutates the primer punch is just before (go clockwise)  the decap/sizing die. The dowell pin is just before the case feeder station.
I didn't think the safety cam was being used in my situation so I will be removing it.

One thing I would like to see about adding to the press is a system to prevent powder from dropping unless there is a case present. I think this is one of the big features of the Dillon. The second thing I would like to add is a simple retainer system so cases could easily be added or removed at any station.

I still don't have the componenets to reload with yet. I have an adjustable powder slide and the press is set for 185 Nosler JHP's. I will be loading them first just to get the hang of it.

Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 12:44:35 am »
Ray,
You are right.  I looked at the rod and remember it is to acutate the safety cam.  The safety cam is spring loaded and the rod pushes the cam  over to block the round or last station.  It may also be the register to align the shell plate but I just don't think so as the cases would do this when the stations are filled.  

I like your ideas on improving the machine but have not found the need to have these improvements.  

I've always been able to slide the cases out using the slot between the powder drop and the bullet seating station.  Granted, I am careful when I return them to the appropriate stations.   A simple retainer system would be helpful but I'm at a loss as to why?  Of all the times I needed this feature, it never seemed to be often enough to warrant it.  A powder drop safety would be nice to have.  But being careful, you can avoid double charging cases or passing them without powder.  I have run out of powder and forgotten to refill the hopper once.  Like Starrel says, the user is the weakest link in the whole setup.  
-Steve

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Safety Cam Stop Pin
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 06:26:51 am »
I have learned that my press was missing part #43, the safety cam stop pin.
I put a 1/8 drill bit in the hole and now all is clear regarding the operation of the safety cam and #38-shell plate dowel pin.
For those who are wondering and don't know what it does, the safety cam toggles between two positions and is held one way or the other by the spring. When the tool head comes down, the angled face on #38 moves the safety cam against the direction of rotation of the shell plate.  When the tool head goes up, the cam spring finishes the rotation of the cam and in the extream CCW direction, it blocks #38 and the tooling head cannot be lowered, thus preventing a double charge or trying to put a second primer in a primed case. Rotating the shell plate causes the loaded round to toggle the safety cam to the extream CW position and now the tool head can be lowered again. The safety cam stop pin extends up between the forks of the safety cam and limits it position in both directions.
I am using a taper crimp so I cannot use the safety cam feature. I like one suggestion I have of looking into the charged case before I place the bullet to inspect for no powder or double powder. The other suggestion I like is that when there is any kind of error or doubt in the operation to "clear the plate" and start from scratch.
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray