Author Topic: Star Inline or Straight-line Reloader  (Read 28498 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Star Inline or Straight-line Reloader
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:49:16 pm »
In December 2014, not long after purchasing Star Machine Works I took a trip to the northern part of New Jersey to look at a collection of Star Reloaders that was for sale.   Among the ten Star reloaders and four Phelps reloaders were two Star Inline (also referred to as Straight-Line) reloaders.   I brought them home along with six Universals.  As time has allowed I have been working to restore one of the Inlines.   It required parts from both machines plus some parts I acquired in the Star acquisition to get one of the Inlines to its current state.   I am still missing the primer slider, chain and counterweight that can be seen in the last two black in white pictures that were taken by Ken Walters and provided to me by Ken Neeld from the ARTCA forum.  The missing parts are a Rube Goldberg system of advancing primers held in the horizontal rectangular primer tube to the priming station.

This machine cannot be considered a progressive reloader as the cases must be moved from station to station manually, and it is not possible to perform all operations at the same time.   

You will note that the patent number is the same number used on Progressives and Universals.   Since there are Progressives with "Pat Pending" bases, it would seem to indicate that these machines came after the introduction of the "Progressive" even though the Progressive seems a far more advanced than the inline.  Although the Patent number on this machine is the same as used on the Progressives, I don't see anything in the Patent that would apply to this machine.

It's difficult to get a good idea of how this machine works based on the pictures, so when I have the time I plan to put together a YouTube video of the machine in operation.

Bruce Williams
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:51:03 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Star Inline or Straight-line Reloader
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »
More Pictures
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:58 pm »
Bruce

Is it 30-06?

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 10:56:47 pm »
Yes, 30-06, in fact both of them are 30-06.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
Thanks. The two you have are in better condition than most I have seen pictures of. Not having seen one in person, am wondering.
Was 30/06 the only caliber they were made in?
Are they caliber specific or could changes be made?
Any idea how many actually were manufactured?

Will probably never know or be able to find out, but would be interesting to know the thoughts behind making them, who for and why. Etc.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:34:53 pm »
Greetings,

It appears that the powder slide is an adjustable design. Is my assumption correct?

Cheers,

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 01:30:04 pm »
Kenn,

I believe this is the same press described in a post by eaglemike a while back.  He describes it as a multi-station press designed to be less expensive than the Progressive and indicates that only a dozen or so were made.   I know of six including mine.     Some believe the Inline predates the "Progressive".  I'm told that the 1937 Phil Sharps book "Complete guide to Handloading" has a picture of the Inline but makes no mention of the Progressive. Of course we know the patent for the "Progressive was filed in 1933 and granted in 1936.   

The powder magazine is nickel plated brass, the same as used on the Pat. Pending Progressives.  The powder magazine has a wider opening at the bottom and no built in baffle.

Here is a link to eaglemike's post.  http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?topic=238.msg583#msg583

Among the Star items I acquired  was a box of parts for the Inline.  (Actually, I had a feeling they were Inline parts, but wasn't sure till I acquired the two Inlines.)  Among the parts were a number of dies and expanders.  None have a manufactures name and many are unmarked as to caliber.  I assume they were made by Star.  Among those that are marked are .270/35 WCF, 22 Hornet, 45 (ACP?), 38 Special and 44 WCF.   

If you look at the side of the Powder Magazine "Housing"  you will notice two layers.   You can remove one layer and install a powder slide that is half the thickness, one of which was among the parts.   And yes, both powder slides are adjustable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:34:28 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 06:58:38 pm »
Thanks for the info.

It is interesting the more that is found out, the more questions arise!

For those that acquired the first 12, I would think they were people who knew what they had, and information could have been passed down with them. Unfortunately, I might speculate the early owners are long past, and whoever inherited them know nothing about them and they were readily discarded, or are still in an attic or basement and whoever finds them will have no idea what they are.

Thus the other 6 may never be found again.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 08:35:12 pm »
Actually, to be able to account for at least 50% of anything made 80 years ago is pretty amazing.    Keep in mind, when these things were made, they weren't antiques, and really are not particularly remarkable in their function.  The fact that they are a rare and relatively unknown part of Star's history is what makes them interesting.....especially to me:) 

Those who collect antique reloading machines seem to mostly pass over Star progressives (small p), but go GaGa over reloaders made in the 50's and  60's.   I think that's actually a testament to the success of the Star progressives.  They were so well designed that a machine built in the 1930's is little different than one built in the 1990's.   I have been trying to catalog the design changes in Star progressives during the 60+ years of production, and they are few in number and minor in scope.

Bruce Williams
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:32:29 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:25:18 pm »
And machines built in the 30s are still functioning and is use! As you say a testament to the Star.

You are right in that there were relatively few changes. As the Star remained almost the same, their total production numbers over the years were substantially higher than many other presses from the many manufacturers, almost making them common. The Star quality is probably one of the reasons for smaller numbers of other presses, as most could not complete with the Star, and thus did not last long.

Do you know or is there any idea of how many Star presses were actually made and sold over the years?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 10:09:37 pm »
Kenn, I have no idea.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 05:48:46 pm »
I think it is safe to assume if Bruce has no idea, we will never know, unless someone finds all their business records, which by now are probably long gone to the dust pile.

Kenn

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 04:05:49 pm »
I don't know if I would go that far Kenn, but thanks.

I think I have mentioned before that I do have the carbon copies for the last five years of Star's operations, ending in 1997.   But that's it.  Beyond that we have to rely on personal antidotes and conjecture.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 06:51:49 pm »
Bruce

That's quite a find and you've done your typically superb job of cleaning/refurbing.  What beautiful work these Stars are, with real metal and machinist handwork.

Thanks for sharing with us. I'll never see another!

John

CHAWKI44

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 08:20:45 pm »
I have a Star Inline in 45-70