Author Topic: Auto indexers  (Read 8232 times)

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Auto indexers
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:23:00 pm »
So is the Moon indexer the go to model ? I like using indexers as it helps taking the brain cramp issue away ;) So far the Moon is the only unit I've come across

Anyone have a lead on a used indexer ?
Also looking for a eject set-up.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:24:37 pm by angus6 »

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Auto indexers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:09 am »
I think a variety of indexers may be found historically -- on eBay and sometimes accompanying Stars for sale -- but to the best of my knowledge, only the Moon Unit is offered presently. As a newer Star owner, that's why I went with the Moon Unit indexer. It has worked superbly since I lightly sanded the bronze guide bar; initially, it wasn't reliably returning to its starting position under its own spring tension.

I believe that the seller of the Moon Unit, Ray Brandes, is also a forum member here. He offers companion product, the Case Kicker, as well for your "ejection" needs.  It too works great. Check out his YouTube videos for more details.

With these two add-ons, my Star is a joy to use. After years of loading single-stage on a T7, I now spend as much -- or more -- time performing quality control inspections as I do actually loading the rounds.

-Kirk
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:08:37 am »
I have a new Moon indexer and case kicker.I havn't used them yet(picking up my first Star press tomorrow to which they will quickly be fitted!) but I can confirm the workmanship and quality is top notch.

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Case kickers & short crimp dies
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:52:31 am »
As Ray describes in one of his YouTube videos, the crimp die must be shorter than normal and allow approximately 3/16" for the Case Kicker fork to grab the round. Another forum member, fc60 aka Dave Wilson, made me a custom "short" .45ACP taper crimp die which accommodates the Case Kicker. Both Ray and Dave do wonderful work.
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:03 pm »
I have FOUR Moon Indexers and Case Flippers....
I would have no other brand as far as I am concerned.
Ray Brandes does a great job with these and they have stood the test of time.
The one on my .45 ACP has now probably run upwards of 13,000 rounds and
there is not a single bit of wear on the indexer or the tool head.

I use just a smidgen of powdered graphite on the sliding mechanism when
I break down the STAR for its annual cleaning.

A great device.... 5 STARS for the MOON UNIT.
Art In Connecticut