Author Topic: Question about Primer Slides  (Read 10002 times)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Question about Primer Slides
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:12:14 pm »
I am going to machine some new Primer Slides and I have a question:

Each Slide has an appropriate sized primer hole (Large or Small) and also a smaller hole that is bisected by a milled cut. The purpose of the small hole and cut is unknown. Is it for debris removal from the primer track? Safety?

I have several Primer Slides that were apparently produced without the additional hole and cut; probably not by Star/San Diego.

Any information? Any experience with making new Primer Slides?

Thank you,
Brad

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Question about Primer Slides
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:16:55 pm »
Hello Brad!

I do recall a thread on this site about it, but do not remember where. Perhaps someone else remembers, or can provide the answer a little quicker.
When (if) I find it, I will let you know.

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:22:46 pm »
Found it.
Posted by Catmandou under Primer slide in this forum.
Sounds logical, but even with close tolerance machining there is "space"

Again I'm replying to my own post, (sorry)

I've been told that the reason for the second hole is to
smooth out operation. The hole was put there to let air
escape.

Sounds logical. I've observed this in well made equipment
made by machinists (tool & die grade)
Paul in WNY
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:05 pm »
I can't say for sure, but I have always thought that the exta hole, with the milled slot, (which lines up with a hole in the base when the primer slide is pushed in) is a safety feature to allow gases to vent in the event of a primer explosion.  I'm sure that you have noticed that the underside of the primer magazine socket also has a couple of slots that seem to serve no other purpose.   Just my thoughts.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 03:49:30 pm »
Thank you for the replies. I have examined the Star priming system over the years and I noted the little "triangle" that is machined into the underside of the brass Socket. It has an apex that appears to point towards the milled cut that runs from the primer hole to the smaller hole. Gas Escape would be the most logical explanation. With the Primer Slide in the forward position I believe the "channel" would direct gas toward the central vertical shaft and then down towards the aluminum base plate. Debris clean-out was the only other reason that I could envision, but the pathway seemed too narrow. Safety in some fashion was my first thought.

I have some Primer Slides that are well made but lack the additional hole and cut. I assumed that someone made them in as simple a manner as possible. They are of proper dimensions and work reliably.

Thank you ALL for your thoughts and information. I hope to have some Primer Slides machined by next week. They will duplicate the original Star model with the small hole & milled cut.

Respectfully,

Brad /aka/ "21-50".