Author Topic: Help. Question about slides  (Read 9435 times)

flatboatfrank

• View Profile
Help. Question about slides
« on: August 29, 2004, 09:44:18 am »
I am setting up a recently purchased machine in .38 sp. It came with a single O slide, and a double OO slide housing. I assume I must match the slide and housing with the same number of 0"s by purchasing either another slide or another housing. I wish to load light .38 ammo for cowboy action shooting, useing a 2.7 BE slide. My question is, if I purchase a double OO slide to match the existing housing, will it drop the powder just as efficently as would a single O combination. The reason I ask is because the Double OO will have a smaller hole for the powder to drop than the single O. Or do I need to spend a larger sum of  money to buy a single O housing which has the bigger drop hole. Thanks for your thoughts.

Lifetyme

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Help. Question about slides
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 05:37:55 pm »
I think you would be better off getting a charge bar for the "00" housing.  The "0" housing might be difficult to find and you would have a much easier time locating charge bars in "00" configuration as it seems they were so much more common.  So much really good competition ammo has been loaded on machines with "00" charging systems that I would not worry about any differences in load quality.  I don't there would be any measureable difference.

Regards

Bob
Best Regards.

Bob

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hi Flatboat Frank
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 12:15:30 am »
Glad to see u on the board.  I hope you like the forum as much as I do.

I have several machines that use different configerations of powder slides.  Some of the powder slide housings are made with 2 incerts,  the others are the regular two piece 0 and 00.  I have two that use the hornady bushings.  As long as I keep the bars and housing clean they all produce the same consistant powder drops. My friend James likes the solid slide bars better than the ones with bushings.  He says they are better, more consistant.  He might be right but I can't tell it.  I have loaded rounds with 3 thru 17 grs of powder in various cartridges.  I have never been able to detect load variations from powder unless the unit was not clean.

I usually try and not complicate the matter and use the smaller housing for the small loads and the bigger housing for bigger loads.  :wink:   But the ones with the Hornady bushings get used for all different sizes.

I would go with the one I liked the best or either the cheepest dependin on my mood.  

Best Regards
Tom
Have a great time shooting.  
Take a kid shooting.    :D
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.
North Fort Myers, Florida