Author Topic: In process of converting to 45acp  (Read 8335 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
First off, the shell plate really does look like it was made by Star.   The G is a puzzle, but I have seen some odd markings on Star shell plates.

The slot where the case is inserted looks like it has a beveled edge which would be typical for rimless or semi-rimmed cases that are held in the shell plate by the extractor groove.   Shell plates for rimmed cases like 38 special and 45 Colt are held by the rim and the slot is not beveled (so far as I have seen).  This doesn't prevent it from being used for 45 Colt if the case fits and the recess on the bottom of the shell plate is big enough to accommodate the rim, and is the correct depth.

The diameter of each caliber shell plate is different.  This makes it possible for the shell locator straps to push the case all the way into the shell plate.

I wonder if it was a 45 ACP shell plate that was modified to fit 45 Colt.   I have seen such things.  I won't name any names.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
So if the outside diameter of the shell plate was a little smaller than normal that shouldn’t  keep it from working then right?… Since that should still give me clearance to keep the plate from interfering with the tabs holding the case in place? Is that outside diameter what you would normally expect to see for a 45acp plate?

By the way, I measured the plate at work with my micrometer and it is .2174” thick
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:44:13 pm by daviscustom »

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile

I wonder if it was a 45 ACP shell plate that was modified to fit 45 Colt.   I have seen such things.  I won't name any names.

Bruce Williams

So I guess the big question, is this shell plate worth keeping to trade for what I need or do you think that outside diameter being too small is going to create enough problems that you wouldn’t recommend it?  If you don’t think it’s going to be a viable option for someone to use to reload 45 Long colt then it’s probably not gonna be of much value for me to try to use it for trade and I might as well send it back for a refund. Is there any more information that you need to be able to form a recommendation?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:56:45 pm by daviscustom »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
So if the outside diameter of the shell plate was a little smaller than normal that shouldn’t  keep it from working then right?… Since that should still give me clearance to keep the plate from interfering with the tabs holding the case in place? Is that outside diameter what you would normally expect to see for a 45acp plate?

By the way, I measured the plate at work with my micrometer and it is .2174” thick

The diameter you mention above would be close to the spec for a 45 ACP shell plate.  Sorry, specs are proprietary.

Yes, you can use a shell plate that is smaller than spec, but it makes adjusting the shell locator straps a little harder.   The best way to adjust the shell locator straps is to turn the shell plate so the straps are NOT opposite a shell opening then adjust the strap so it just clears the shell plate.  Of course this assumes the shell plate diameter meets spec.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

bwpsc

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: In process of converting to 45acp
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 03:26:11 pm »
From what I could gather off of the net, the extractor groove for a .45Lc is .450". The extractor groove for a .45acp is only .394".
So it is looking more like to be a .45Lc shell plate.
The die has those funny 2 lines cut into it with what I think is a die grinder or cut off wheel not a cold chisel. Somebody put them there to identify something.
I think you will need to use a resized case or a new cartridge to see how they fit into the sizing die. The fired case will expand a few or several thousands of an inch and throw off your findings.
Let us know what you find.
Later,

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 04:07:27 pm »
Just to clarify the fired case would not go in the sizing die, I was sliding it into the bullet seating and the taper crimp die. I guess I can bring the dies to work and check the inside diameter‘s to get a better idea what I’ve got.

Unfortunately I don’t have a shell plate for 45 ACP so I can’t test it out very easily, but I can get a unfired cartridge and see what it does in those dies.

It would be interesting to see how a factory made shell plate for 45 LC is made… This one appears to be made with the intent of holding the cartridge by the outside case wall just above the rim.… Rather than going into an extractor groove.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:21:17 pm by daviscustom »

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 05:15:27 pm »
A factory loaded 45 ACP cartridge will not push into the sizing die by hand so that seems like a good sign.