Author Topic: Help  (Read 4163 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Help
« on: February 10, 2021, 02:49:54 pm »
Started a reloading session for 148gr, .38spl.
Loaded about 10-12 rounds.
Moved the handle and loaded another round. As I raised handle. it went up a little and then just stopped. Head is stuck.
Attempted partial disassembly. Shell plate moves. All dies free and clear.
Lubricated machine and struck a few times with a rubber mallet with no change.
Head is stuck.
Maybe shaft or keyway problem?

If I can figure how to reduce photo size will post.

Might be going to Bruce.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 03:55:29 pm »
A lot of lubricant and a little muscle and head came off.

Now neither that head or my or others will go on more than in inch or two without force.
Do not want to force them.

The shaft appears to have no damage and appears straight. The keyways look okay.
Press has not been off bench mount in years until today to remove stuck head. No dropping etc..

Could shaft be bent?  Could normal loading do this?
Keyways are pressed in. Could that be issue.?
At a loss. Not sure where to begin.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 07:02:05 pm »
Greetings,

Start by gently running your finger tips up, down, and everywhere trying to sense a raised burr.

With the press mounted to a solid bench, apply black felt pen to the shaft and let it dry.

Next, gently attempt to place the tool head only on the shaft.

If it sticks, stop and remove it.

Now look for wear marks on the felt pen application.

All of the above is with the assumption that all the parts are Star. No Phelps pieces.

Go slow and observe any abnormalities.

With good fortune, it may just be a burr.

Cheers,

Dave

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:09:36 pm »
Email the picture to yourself.  App will ask what resolution for the picture in the email.  Pick a size that gets you within the size limit. Then save the picture from the received email.

Also, I had a tool head that would stick because the key was not fully seated.  I used a small C clamp (3" or 4") and compressed the key farther down into the slot. This fixed it for me.

There is a small pin mounted in the key that goes through the side of the head.  Since it's ground flush & painted over, it's not very obvious that it's there.  After I pressed the key farther into it's slot, that pin poked through the paint and sat slightly proud of the exterior of the head.  Doesn't conflict with anything, so I left it that way.

Good luck.  Let us know what you figure out.
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 07:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the input.
Also spoke to Bruce. He is a big asset to this forum.

Found the following.
One head has a pin holding keyway, 2nd does not.
Found a very slight scratch  (1/8 inch+/-)  on column on edge of groove about halfway down. Barely visible but could easily be felt. Never observed this before.
Took a fine stone and smoothed it. Also reset the keys into the heads. Able to install and appeared to function.

I think (but do not know for sure) that a small piece of debris embedded itself between the head and shaft on the upstroke., causing it to bind,  and lock up. Suppose it could also have been the non-pinned keyway moved?...

Plan on using tomorrow so we shall see.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 07:59:09 am »
Cleaned up the scratch/burr on the shaft with a very fine stone. Applied gun grease to the shaft keyway slot.
Removed keyways from heads and dressed with a fine stone. (one head keyway no pin)
Cleaned and lubricated shaft chamber of each head prior to re-installing keyways. Applied a little (very little) grease with my finger.

Used gun grease not lithium as suggested by Bruce.

Everything worked!

Thanks to all.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 08:02:59 am »
And thanks for the picture suggestion. Seems so simple.

I had tried cutting and cropping and reducing image size with little luck.

Regards!