Author Topic: .30 M1 Carbine seater die question  (Read 11008 times)

rrag

• Active Members
    • View Profile
.30 M1 Carbine seater die question
« on: July 17, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »
Hello,

I bought some .30 M1 Carbine dies and have the following questions:  The decapper die has only " 30 CAR" and the seater die only "30 C".  For those of you that reload .30 M1 Carbine, do you use or recommend case lube on the cases?  The seater die appears to have a taper crimp since when I turn in the seater stem far enough into the die I will see a gap around the diameter of the seater cup but as a turn it out of the die the gap disappears.  Do any of you do the seat and taper crimp using only one die?  Or would you all recommend a separate taper crimp die?  Thanks.

rrag

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: .30 M1 Carbine seater die question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34:33 pm »
Is it a Lifetyme Sizing die.   If so, than it is a carbide sizing die and case lubricant shouldn't be necessary.  If it is not a Lifetyme (or RLS Precision), than it is probably not a carbide die, and case lubricant is required.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 12:13:44 pm »
Greetings,

With tapered sizing dies such as the 9mm and 30 Carbine, Star had a memo printed saying that "dip your fingers into some pure Lanolin and stir the unsized cases to apply a little lube to reduce case sizing forces."

If you saw my garage, you would understand why I cannot find the original quote.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:20:58 pm »
Didn't know that.   Although I have a Star tool head set up for 30 Carbine, I have never actually used it.....30 Carbines being illegal in New Jersey.   I have always wanted one, so one of these days when I move out of this state I will be ready to start reloading 30 Carbine.

I have loaded lots of 9mm using a Lifetyme carbide die and have not used any case lubricant.  Maybe I should.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rrag

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:39:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Rene

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 11:51:02 am »
Hello all,
The eternal question, to use or not to use lube on carbide dies.  A little lube just makes it easier
to resize.  Attached is the star directions.
Semper Fi...
MikeA.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 12:26:41 pm »
Greetings All,

Thanks to Mike for keeping his garage organized so he can find the information he posted.

Cheers,

Disorganized Dave

CHAWKI44

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »
spray silicone works great on most cases --spray after cases have been cleaned.  The silicone will not effect the power or primers.

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »
Back in the 60ies I loaded .31 MI Carbine, even though you use Carbide Dies, being a tapered case you SHOULD USE A LUBRICANT.....
I would have a small metal ashtry with a piece of a Shop in it with MARVEL MYSTERY OIL..............Great for oiling your pistols & or rifles......
It bonds with the electoral structure (pores) of the metal, try a little on you finger & it will disappear.....

Now you Know said 'GI Joe'
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain