Author Topic: Trying to change tool heads  (Read 7432 times)

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Trying to change tool heads
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:06:15 pm »
Today I  started to change over  a .45 ACP universal machine to 9mm. I wanted to use a progressive tool head on the univ base.
>The first thing I discovered was that the shell plates are a different size. The univ base/plate is larger than a progressive so that my progressive plate doesn't fit as close to the rim as the .45 univ plate. After some experimentation I decided that the fit should not be a problem.
>My next problem was the cam (item 49/49U) that works the lever (item 48) for the primer slide (item 22). The head I was going to use did not move the slide far in enough for the primer punch to come through the slide. There should be a fix for this problem but it eludes me. Maybe Univ will work on Univ, but not Prog on Univ.
>I wound up putting my new 9mm shell plate on the progressive machine that the head was originally on. When I did this the primer feed works exactly like it should. I notice there are stamped numbers on the brass housing (item 75*) and the steel base (item12/12U) that are the same (diff numbers on different machines). Evidently these parts were fitted at the factory.
>Do all accessory heads have to be individually fitted?
>Can someone tell me the pros and cons of having a Univ or Prog machine?
>Now how do I get 9mm to feed with my Hulme feeder? It looks like I need a long cover that has an addition to the lower side that fits inside the slot, that barely clears the plunger to hold the cases upright.
I would appreciate anyones insights into this situation. I have slowly loaded a few rounds and it seems to be going to work the way I have it now. Feeder and Indexer not installed yet.
Rolling Stone

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to change tool heads
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:43:41 pm »
Rolling Stone,
I understand that the cam can be bent to change the throw on the arm that moves the primer slide.  Looks like a lot of trouble to me, I think I would shim it.  On the Hulme, I have some pictures of the .380 and 9mm top plate I will try and attach.  If it doesn't work I will email them to you.
Semper Fi
MikeA

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Trying to change tool heads
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:05:43 am »
Gee, those pictures look really familiar

Tool Heads can usually be switched from one machine to another without adjustment, but they cannot be switched between Progressives and Universals without changing the Angle Lever Cam #49/49U

The cam for the Universal and the Progressive are different because the steel base of the Progressive and Universal are different diameters.   49U for the Universal and 49 for the Progressive.   I'm not even sure if you can bend a Progressive Cam enough to work on a Universal.   I have an extra 49U if you need one. 
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com