Author Topic: Powder Spout Sizes  (Read 9174 times)

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Powder Spout Sizes
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:51:44 am »
Hi All, I just set up a machine to dedicate for 9MM. It seems my powder is free falling a little to get into the case. I can only assume the powder spout length is too short for the height of the 9MM case. Anybody know what the correct spout NUMBER is for 9MM , and does anyone have one. Thanks!

Gene

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Spout Sizes
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:29:08 pm »
Greetings,

The Star Parts list show only one number (#31) for the spout. However, for loading the 32 caliber and 30 Carbine, you definitely need one with a smaller diameter and Star did ship smaller ones as I have some.

Regarding the length, I did machine a longer one for a friend to load 32 ACP to avoid the powder spillage you are experiencing.

Should you be unable to locate a used one on the Forum, I can machine one for you.

Cheers,

Dave

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »
Another alternative might be to fit a small extension to the existing tube as a "field expedient" fix. I'll have tolook at mine, ( it's one machined by Bruce I believe) to see how close to the case it extends. On the other hand I'm not sure how far my 38 or 45 spouts extend towards the case when the tool head is lowered.

I do know I see a certain amount of "spillage" after a loading session ... I'll have to watch it the next time I'm running the Stars

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »
Thanks Guys, I am probably being a little too nuts about it. It stands to reason, (I would think), Star would have made the mouth of the spout be below the case mouth, before the powder drop takes place. On my machine, the spout is about 3/16"-1/4" above case mouth when powder free falls. A small piece of a straw, or clear rigid tubing would fix it, but I wanted to know if there was indeed, a specific spout for 9MM. It don't look right watching the powder free fall into the case. I think this is something easily overlooked, especially when you think of wanting to load .380, where it's even shorter. AnyWay, Always appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Gene

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:56:51 pm »
As Dave mentioned, Star made two sizes of powder spouts, Standard and Small.  The small is needed for 32 S&W and 30 Carbine.  The standard size is fine for 9MM, but you could use the small size as well.   

Both sizes are the same length, extending about 11/16" below the nut portion of the powder spout.  It sounds like yours has been shortened.

I have both versions in stock.   $23 shipped in the US.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

CLL1975

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:49:32 pm »
I had the same problem, I cut a 5.56 case so it went into the 9mm case just a bit and dropped the powder, I used a small pipe cutter to ring the case so it would fit tight.  The powder drops and I have no loss at all

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:44:56 pm »
Thanks! That's great! I will give it a try.

Gene