Author Topic: CCI Large Pistol Primers getting sideways  (Read 26475 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: CCI Large Pistol Primers getting sideways
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:45:04 pm »
I did have one batch of primers (Winchester SP) where the anvil was set too high.   No problem with them dropping through the pickup tubes, or the primer magazine, but as the primer slide moved them out, they would get hung up in primer magazine socket.  Sometimes it would tear the anvil off, sometimes it would deform the primer, but I would always have to dismantle the primer system and remove the shell plate to clean up the problem.   As soon as I switched over to another batch of primers, the problem went away.

If primers are getting hung up in the primer magzine, clean it up as described above, and check for damage.  Also, check the bottom of the primer magazine for burrs around the hole.  Sometimes they get dropped and it peens over a little bit of brass.  Use a tapered reamer or a round file to make sure there isn't any brass getting in the way of primer movement.

As mentioned above, if you need a new magazine, I have them.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tguntrader

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 05:39:21 pm »
Salty, About 3 yr,s a go I got a batch of cci small pistol primers that would fall out of my cases. I don,t have any lot # to check. The cases was new and once fired.

tguntrader

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 10:31:00 pm »
I did have one batch of primers (Winchester SP) where the anvil was set too high.   No problem with them dropping through the pickup tubes, or the primer magazine, but as the primer slide moved them out, they would get hung up in primer magazine socket.  Sometimes it would tear the anvil off, sometimes it would deform the primer, but I would always have to dismantle the primer system and remove the shell plate to clean up the problem.   As soon as I switched over to another batch of primers, the problem went away.

If primers are getting hung up in the primer magzine, clean it up as described above, and check for damage.  Also, check the bottom of the primer magazine for burrs around the hole.  Sometimes they get dropped and it peens over a little bit of brass.  Use a tapered reamer or a round file to make sure there isn't any brass getting in the way of primer movement.

As mentioned above, if you need a new magazine, I have them.

I need one.  Pick up tube also.

Part number 23, Primer Slide spring has been uined. McMaster Carr has bunches of springs but I do not know what length, load rating, etc to order.   The original has left this galaxy by way of the Black Hole that once was the floor of my garage.  

If you have this part, or can supply dimensions, maybe I can get this thing back together.  

THANKS,

salty

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:37:20 pm by saltydog »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 10:46:44 pm »
Salty, 

I'll send you an email.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 11:24:12 am »
Problems can occur with primers . I purchased my first Star in [no e-mail]@. I used Remington primers for years but changed in the mid 80's . I loaded a lot ( bullseye shooting ) and Remington gotto the point of failure to feed in my Star. This would happen about once per hundred. It became a pain to clean the tool of loose powder. Remingtons Quality Controll was lacking. Upon examining the primers that gave problems I found that they were oval , not round and this was enough for the primers hagg up in the primer magazine. When I found a Remington large primer with two anvils I realized it was time to change. Also I have found one with no anvil. I still have both.
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 08:29:13 pm »
The one thing I see from the opinions in this thread is no-one has mentioned a primer follower. I use a 1/8" brazing rod for this and have a marker (Electrical tape) that shows how close the rod is to being all the way down and locking up the primer slide. I use 100 primers at a time and it seems that would be two of your case feeder loads. But I am telling you, I can't get this number thing to work out, ever. I think it comes under "the best laid plans" thing. How are you getting the last primer to be picked up loose from the pickup end. That is where I use the follower and push the primers down to the clip. Then with the follower holding the primers toward the clip
#1- I position the pickup tube over the primer housing.
#2- Remove the follower,
#3- remove the clip and the primers will gravity feed into the housing. Doing this operation, it is possible to let the two tubes get out
     of  position and possibly get the first one turned. Carefully do this.
#4- Then you carefully insert the follower into the primer housing and let it keep the primers tightly pushed down.DON'T DROP IT DOWN THE TUBE ONTO THE PRIMERS.

Remembering to check the marker when the press locks up and won't cycle will be your next experience, or it was mine. CRS. By the way I use all kinds of primers and in my experience, The primers ain't the problem. Maybe this will give you another place to look for your problem.
Rolling Stone

Dave T

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »
When I bought my first Star, in 1978, the guy who got it for me said Star Machine Works told him to use Winchester WLPs as they fed the best through the priming mechanism. I followed his/their advice and loaded 45s with WLPs for over 20 years without a single problem. YMMV!

Dave
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:10:13 pm by Dave T »

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 11:20:58 pm »
Are you using the follower rod?  I haven't seen it mentioned.  If not, the action of the machine might flip the primers.  tt