Author Topic: Star vs. Dillon  (Read 14719 times)

artiesea

• View Profile
Star vs. Dillon
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:12:32 pm »
I have the opportunity to purchase a Star and am wondering how they compare to the Dillon 650 which I have been using in terms of ease of caliber change, changing primer size, changing powder charge, and whether they have a case or bullet feeder.  Any help will be appreciated.

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star vs. Dillon
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »
Make sure its a "UniversL " model.  It would have adjustable locator tabs for changing calibers.  As for change calibers it can be done.  There are aftermaket and factory parts out there to be had.  The prices may be a little higher than if you had to buy stuff for a Star but if you look long and hard enough you will find deals.

If you have a chance to buy the machine, I would say GO for it!!!  Run it and make up your own mind of what you think about it.  Look around the sight here you will see the prices of stuff.  If you dont like it, put it back up for sale. 

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:59:24 am »
The Star is more like the 1050 than the 650, but is a higher quality machine.You can set them up with a case collater(Dillon or similar), bullet feeder is not so easy and you cannot use the Mr bulletfeeder as there is no available station.Best to assume you will not be able to get a bulletfeeder.Calibre change is quick and easy.Stars drop powder every time you pull the handle, whether a case is present or not, this will expand your vocabulary of swear words rapidly.
If you appreciate quality far beyond what is manufactured today you will enjoy a Star, if you simply want an efficient and practical machine to load on, Dillon is a good option.The Star requires accessories for indexing, case feeding and loaded round ejection as well as the collater.Many presses will come with some of these accessories.If you appreciate fine machines, you will never regret buying a Star.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:26:41 am »
I seriously doubt that anyone loved the Star's more than I did.  Did business with the company for more than 20 years.  Had every commercial model they ever offered including a straightline.  Also had a couple duplicates and most of the copies like the Phelps, Berdon and CPM.  But today I wouldn't recommend buying a Star except as a collector's item.

Part of the problem is just that time has past them buy.  The Dillon RL550 and the RCBS Pro 2000 are just better machines. The design is simplier, better and less expensive.   Personally I prefer the RCBS over the Dillon but both are excellent.  And both are still in production so parts aren't a problem.

The Star is most similar, I think, to the Dillon RL550.  It doesn't have automatic case indexing and it is certainly nothing like the 1050.
former progressive press collector

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:21 pm »
Different Strokes for Different Folks
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:22:15 am »
Greetings,

As a retired Tool and Die Maker, I came to fully appreciate the quality of the Star machines. They are solid, precise, and easy to use.

The Dillon tools are fine for folks that want to "bang out" large quantities of ammo in a short time.

RCBS has made quality tools for a long time. Sadly, they now out source some of their products to Communist China. Additionally, I have one of their Green Machines and I cannot get a response from them, either email or written letter, regarding a missing part I need.

RCBS UPDATE.

In yesterday's mail, I received the missing part I needed for my Green Machine. NO CHARGE! They wrote it up as a warranty item. Thanks to RCBS for coming though.

Cheers,

Dave

Die hard Star user.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:44:22 am by fc60 »

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:41:27 am »
Dave,

I have a NOS in the box (1984) Green Machine which I bought on a lark and
still haven't opened it.  Stuck on Stars.
You have made several sets of dies for me and if you think you could duplicate
the Green Machine part I would happily take it off my machine and send it to you.
Just let me know.

Semper Fi
MikeA
Las Vegas, NV

xring2245

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »
I have six Stars and three Dillons.  I use all six Stars and two of the Dillons (One is still NIB).  The Stars are much better made machines and I loove using them.  The Dillons are well made too, but not on the order of the Star, and I use them to produce ammo.  The Stars create some great ammo and they are the ones I would never sell.

FWIW...

James
James J. Grimes
NRA Endowment Member
Distinguished Pistol #1496
NRA Distinguished Revolver
ATA Trap
Muzzleloading

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:21 pm »
Dave,

I have a NOS in the box (1984) Green Machine which I bought on a lark and
still haven't opened it.  Stuck on Stars.
You have made several sets of dies for me and if you think you could duplicate
the Green Machine part I would happily take it off my machine and send it to you.
Just let me know.

Semper Fi
MikeA
Las Vegas, NV

Having owned a couple Green Machines I should know better, but if you are interested in selling it let me know.
former progressive press collector

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 12:49:34 am »
Kenneth
I have a USED Green Machine if you are interested.......Cheap..!!!

This is the loader.....No green Die Boxes came with the loader....I think it has .45 dies in it.....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:53:42 am by askimball (Doc) »
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain