Author Topic: Time frame for the Brewster indexer  (Read 11947 times)

824tsv

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Time frame for the Brewster indexer
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »
Hello Folks,
I've been totally mesmerized by the Star reloading machines. I've watched the Star videos on youtube dozens of times and I've been reading a lot of threads here. I don't have a Star yet, but I'm on the hunt...I have a question about the Brewster indexers. Not really sure I want one when I eventually get a Star, but I would be interested to know what time frame they came on the market and if they had any relationship with Star Machine Works. Was there any optional equipment available from Star for their machines? I appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Robert

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Time frame for the Brewster indexer
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 09:37:42 am »
Star didn't offer any accessories that I am aware of though at one point in history they did include H&G bullet molds on their price list.   Star condoned the Hulme case feeder and starting in about 1959 began including the hole for mounting the Hulme case feeder.   

It's my understanding that they did not like indexing attachments because they felt that they caused excessive wear on the steel base.   I have certainly come across some Stars that had excessive wear on the base which was caused by indexers.   These machines were probably owned by commercial reloaders and had far more use than the average reloader.

SB Sales Distributing offers the Moon Indexer which is an updated and more substantial indexer.  Personally I don't use indexers, but many do.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:11 am »
Hello Folks,
I've been totally mesmerized by the Star reloading machines. I've watched the Star videos on youtube dozens of times and I've been reading a lot of threads here. I don't have a Star yet, but I'm on the hunt...I have a question about the Brewster indexers. Not really sure I want one when I eventually get a Star, but I would be interested to know what time frame they came on the market and if they had any relationship with Star Machine Works. Was there any optional equipment available from Star for their machines? I appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Robert

Brewster got in trouble because of their primer turret.  As I recall it had ten tubes each of quick held 100 primers.  Detonations were a problem, particularly because there was no primer shield.  I seem to recall that this turret was placed on top of the Star primer tube but I'm no longer certain about that.  I had one of these.  After reading about a couple of the explosions I stopped using it.

Star seriously discouraged used of the Brewster indexer.  Wear.  I had one of these as well.  It was a very bad idea.

Brewster was only around for a couple of years, in the 70's I think.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:26:33 am by Kenneth L. Walters »
former progressive press collector

824tsv

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:55:28 am »
Interesting,
Thank you very much for the info!

Jerry Lehrer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 03:59:43 pm »
The Brewster Indexer was cause of many problems on the Star.  Bill and Ellard disapproved of any indexer, even the SO-Mar.

The only recent indexer that was any good was the one made in Florida  (MooN?)  I still have a new one, packed away.

Jerry Lehrer

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:01 pm »
I have Brewsters on three of my machines and don't understand what you guys are talking about. When it is set up right, it works. I can see there might be some wear on the base if you did millions of rounds but I have done thousands on these used Stars and see no problem. If set up right the effort to cycle the loader is the same with the indexer as without it. The only cases I can see you would have wear with are the rimmed cartridges. The rimless or automatic cases bear on the shell plate and can barely touch the base. I think this must be an urban legend.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:48:23 pm by Rolling Stone »

twidle

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:06:20 pm »
I've had a indexer on my Star.38 progressive since the late 70's the only thing that wore out was the indexer.
Regards,
Mike

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:55:04 pm »
I've loaded over 200,000 rounds on my Star since 1986. I have the Hulme case feeder,MA Systems case collator, MA Systems shell plate rotator, MA Systems bullet feeder, MA Systems Ejector and MA Systems Roller ease handle.I have had zero problems with any of these attachments or with any wear on my Star mainly because I do not size or decap on it. The only replacement on the machine was a primer slide spring. Star Machine Works recommended MA Systems products to me when I purchased it and it is fun running a fully progressive Star. It still looks like the day I received it.