Author Topic: What Plastic Was Used on the Casefeeder Tubes?  (Read 12609 times)

Grump

• View Profile
What Plastic Was Used on the Casefeeder Tubes?
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:28 pm »
Hmmm...since it was used with the Hulme case feeder, maybe those tube were from Hulme too???

Anyway, I am quite impressed that the 51 year old tubes I am using remain pliable, stiff enough to stay upright when full of cases, and are still reasonably impact-resistant.

I had a 1986 Audi that had its ball and socket plastics in the gearshift lever under that nice leather shift boot completely fall apart after only 11 years of USA heat. Don't ask about the Mercedes I bought more than a decade later. [Edit: "They"...] know NOTHING about either heat or UV from ordinary sunlight at only 2,000 feet above sea level, as far as plastics go...

So, what was/is it? Are equivalent tubes available anywhere? I would kind of like to get a few long enough to hold a full 50 .38 Special cases. Just no junk that's going to crack and disintegrate in only 10 years!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:19:23 pm by starrel »

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: What Plastic Was Used on the Casefeeder Tubes?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:57:19 pm »
When I got my first Star and decided I knew enough to go automatic, I tried this route. I would recommend you get a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and try that first. It's cheap and you won't have lost much when you decide it won't work. The reason: My ceiling wasn't high enough to clear the end of the tube with 50 .38 specials, when the loader was on the bench. I'm old and stiff and didn't want to use the machine sitting on the floor. Get a Freeloader or one of the Lee adaptions and you will be much happier. That is one reason why they have 4 short tubes, so they clear the ceiling....

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:56:11 am »
As Rolling Stone mentioned, you might want to consider my adapter that allows you to mount Lee Case Feeder tubes and Collator to a Star.   With the proper top plate on your Hulme, you can load any caliber.   It should easily hold more than fifty 38 Special cases and the Collator allows you to drop in handfuls of cases like a Freeloader.

More info here:

http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1735.0
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:44:58 pm »
Another source for tubing is just using ebay.  I looked all over locally for what I wanted and then finally did a search on line.  You can buy clear 1/2" ID  polycarbonate tubing for a reasonable price.  I think it was about $1.50 or less a foot.  Problem is there is a minimum order size (6 foot lengths as I recall).  The Lee tubing works also, but the polycarbonate is much more tough and rigid. I think the old Star tubing was probably clear polyester or a PVC product. Good luck

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 07:59:51 pm »
Bingo...I got mine off of Ebay as well, and it was quite affordable.

Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 03:23:58 pm »
Hmmm....interesting alternative approach.

It takes me so long to fill the tubes even when using all my tricks to minimize movements, that I have considered timing 100-150 rounds loaded just dropping cases from a bin into the top of the casefeeder to see whether that increases my NET production rate.

An honest production rate, where I start the timer when I pick up the package of primers, fill the primer tubes, then include loading the case tubes, is between 300 and 400 rounds per hour. I also include the time spend swapping out the case tubes.  Takes me 2 minutes per 50 cases, so there you have .2 of an hour at 300 rounds spent just feeding the Hulme case feeder, and 16 minutes to get 400 done.

I'm pretty sure that everyone who ever got a full 600 rounds per hour of of a Star had a second person filling case tubes and primer tubes for them. Even if you have the kids doing it for you, that doesn't quite count in my book.

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 08:14:52 pm »
I home made a motorized collator to fill the tube. All I have to do is dump 500  or so empty cases into the collator and then turn on the switch.
The collator keeps the tube full and then shuts it's self off until more cases are needed. and I've never had an upsidedown case.
I tried to post a pic. of the collator but keep getting a message saying that the file is to large.

Good Shooting

Lindy

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:36:26 pm »
Trying to post a Pic.

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »
((I posted this awhile back, hopefully it's still current))

Another source for clear acrylic tubing
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:49 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clear Acrylic Tubing in 1/2 and 5/8 inches (other sizes too) available in 6 ft lengths at the store, can be shipped to You in 3 ft lengths only. shipping is extra.

1/2 Tubing= 45 cents per foot or $2.45 per six foot length
5/8 Tubing= 75 cents per foot or $3.25 per six foot length

TAP PLASTICS INC.
1859 Pacific Ave.
Stockton, Ca 95204-5725

209-937-9300
209-937-9400  Fax
dom (at sign) tapplastics (dot) com

You can telephone in an order, fax it in or order useing the above email addy

Good Shooting

Lindy

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 02:58:27 pm »
What happened about loading 50 in a tube? Did it work for you?