Author Topic: Can I minimize or eliminate die adjustment?  (Read 10582 times)

Naphtali

• View Profile
Can I minimize or eliminate die adjustment?
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:17:06 pm »
My shooting partner is upgrading his lube-sizers, disposing of all and buying a Ballisti-Cast. I am buying his Star with heater. No dies accompany the Star. This doesn't really matter because we have no overlap in what we shoot. I load one bullet each in 45-70 (gas check), 45 Colt (plain base), and 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger (plain base). Is it possible to order sizing dies for each of the bullets that do not require me to adjust -- that is, stop up -- holes in the dies? What I'm wanting to obtain are dies intended for one specific bullet and not need to futz with the dies.

If I am asking an invalid question, please guide me.
 George Orwell (pseudonym of Eric Arthur Blair)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Can I minimize or eliminate die adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:51:51 pm »
I think that you can probably order dies from Magma Engineering with the spacing between holes that you want, and with only the number of holes that you want.   You will probably have a bit of a wait as your not asking for something that would be on the shelf.  Call Magma and talk to the very nice lady. 

Most of us do nose first sizing now, which works fine for both gas check and non-gas check bullets.  You might want to pick up a flat punch or two from Magma Engineering.   It's good if the punch pretty closely matches the diameter of the bullet, especially if you are doing gas check bullets.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tackstrp

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:08:08 pm »
may i suggest talking to lars he makes star magna sizing dies and stop nuts with set screw. any number of lube holes

his email .  can maybe find on another forum if search lathesmith
 [no e-mail]@.com

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:22:09 pm »
To answer your question...yes.  You can set up one die and a top punch specifically for one bullet.  You can buy a flat top punch with a lock nut that has a set screw.  Once you have adjusted the top punch, you tighten the set screw on the lock nut.

If you visit the Cast Boolits forum, search for "Lathesmith"  He makes dies for the Star...and very good ones.  He is good with communications and will take care of you.  I have is e-mail address somewhere...If you can't get his info, send me a PM and I'll get it for you.