Author Topic: New Star owner!  (Read 5348 times)

Cameron

• Active Members
    • View Profile
New Star owner!
« on: December 27, 2018, 03:11:24 pm »
Hello, Everyone

I am 28, a welder from NW Connecticut. Been shooting since i was 18 and reloading on and off for 3 or 4 years not that active, i was using LEE presses. 2 weeks ago i was talking with a friends father n Law about reloading and he told me he had an OLD press his father owned and had not been used in 40+ years and he would like me to take it because none of his offspring would be interested in it when he "kicks the bucket" (his words not mine).

The press is a Star Universal Pre 62set up for .38 spl Wad cutters with 2.5 grs of B.E. *picture attached*

Ive already talked to Bruce, Awesome guy very quick to answer email and picks up the phone. about converting it to 9mm as i have no interest in 38. later i would like to maybe do 45 ACP. just have to save up a few more Benjamins so i can get everything i NEED, then i can explore wants. 

Questions:
Is anyone local to me that has one up and running and we could chat?, show me around yours?

is there lube spots i should lube, when i tear it down and clean it?

Thanks for reading. i will be lurking around the forum for a while, looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Cameron Brayen

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: New Star owner!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:54:55 pm »
Depending on your locale in CT, I am in Dutchess County NY, about an hour from Canaan area, same from Danbury.
Would be happy to talk and if in area, subject to my availability, happy to do a short hands on.

From the picture, the press looks in very good condition. I would suggest some minor dis-assembly (Same as swapping a head for a different caliber) and a good wipe down with a soft cloth and quality lubricant to remove trace rust.

As far as lubrication, you will get a lot of varied answers. I use a little graphite based lube to prevent friction, but do not over-do-it, and I do not recommend grease based lubricants to prevent buildup.

You should be able to get a lot of answers to questions, from the many posts on this site, as well as on the home page portion.

NYKenn

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Cameron

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 07:26:06 pm »
Depending on your locale in CT, I am in Dutchess County NY, about an hour from Canaan area, same from Danbury.
Would be happy to talk and if in area, subject to my availability, happy to do a short hands on.

From the picture, the press looks in very good condition. I would suggest some minor dis-assembly (Same as swapping a head for a different caliber) and a good wipe down with a soft cloth and quality lubricant to remove trace rust.

As far as lubrication, you will get a lot of varied answers. I use a little graphite based lube to prevent friction, but do not over-do-it, and I do not recommend grease based lubricants to prevent buildup.

You should be able to get a lot of answers to questions, from the many posts on this site, as well as on the home page portion.

NYKenn

Hello NYKen

I am in Torrington, i think this weekend I’m going to take it all apart and clean it up. Thank you for responding i will keep in touch. I really hope this forum stays active.

Cameron

bad apple engineering

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:46:03 pm »
Hello, Everyone

I am 28, a welder from NW Connecticut. Been shooting since i was 18 and reloading on and off for 3 or 4 years not that active, i was using LEE presses. 2 weeks ago i was talking with a friends father n Law about reloading and he told me he had an OLD press his father owned and had not been used in 40+ years and he would like me to take it because none of his offspring would be interested in it when he "kicks the bucket" (his words not mine).

The press is a Star Universal Pre 62set up for .38 spl Wad cutters with 2.5 grs of B.E. *picture attached*

Ive already talked to Bruce, Awesome guy very quick to answer email and picks up the phone. about converting it to 9mm as i have no interest in 38. later i would like to maybe do 45 ACP. just have to save up a few more Benjamins so i can get everything i NEED, then i can explore wants. 

Questions:
Is anyone local to me that has one up and running and we could chat?, show me around yours?

is there lube spots i should lube, when i tear it down and clean it?

Thanks for reading. i will be lurking around the forum for a while, looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Cameron Brayen
just converted a star to 9mm check out our link on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZWlrM0B0CI
 thank you

johnb

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 07:55:59 am »
You got a really nice press. One of the great things about a Star is that because they're built with quality materials, they really clean up nicely.  The pride of ownership of such a fine machine is indescribable.

Cameron

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 08:16:33 am »
You got a really nice press. One of the great things about a Star is that because they're built with quality materials, they really clean up nicely.  The pride of ownership of such a fine machine is indescribable.

Johnb, i am more then excited, I read this forum every chance i get. being a fabricator all day I’m thinking of ways to bullet feed and auto index. i like the ray vin idea seems kind of big and in the way? Maybe hook it to an adrino with servos.... i don’t know that’s later first i have to get the stuff i need. Thanks for replying

Cameron