Author Topic: Relief cut on Expander Plugs  (Read 7954 times)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Relief cut on Expander Plugs
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:32:49 pm »
Recently I acquired an older Star Universal Progressive reloader circa 1951. It had tooling for both .38 Special and .45 ACP. The machine was little used and apparently all original. Each of the case Expander Plugs had a small "relief cut" at the junction of the full diameter bullet shaft and the angular incline which initiates the belling process. On the .45 ACP plug the bullet shaft was about 2/3s of the length of the the traditional expander plug. I have seen many sets of Star tooling since the late 1960's but this was a first encounter for me. Any information to share? Thanks/BFJ

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Relief cut on Expander Plugs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:38:39 pm »
As a guess I would say that the cut was to relieve pressure in the case and
prevent the primer from backing out.  Just a guess mind you as none of mine
have such.
Mike A.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:11:01 pm »
Brad;

MikeA may have the answer, it seems reasonable.
Maybe you cannot tell,  but do the cuts look like they may be original or an after thought by a previous owner?

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »
It would be nice to have a close up photo of the parts in question.

Cheers,

Dave

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »
The cuts appear to have been factory turned and "probably" served to make a smooth transition from the straight diameter of the plug shaft onto the tapered cone portion of the belling process. I imagine that any "crud" that had formed on the inside of the case mouth could be mechanically peeled just before the trip up the expander/belling slope. I will try and get some good quality photos to share. Apparently the relief groove was not necessary, did not work or was of insufficient value to warrant the extra machining operation and was discontinued.