Author Topic: More Information soon, Please introduce yourselves...  (Read 46956 times)

Michael Carlin

• Active Members
  • Don't let the bastards get you down!
    • View Profile
More Information soon, Please introduce yourselves...
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 11:59:17 pm »
Hi Ray, (to all, this is the famous Ray Brandes of High Power rifle fame, who produces the excellent Ray-Vin stuff).

To introduce myself,
Michael Carlin is a 54 year old professional soldier who continues to serve in the Army.  At present I am a Master Sergeant in a training development, and conduct operation here in Wisconsin. (Yes, that is Fort McCoy, near Sparta).

I am a distinguished pistol shot (1995).

My father and I bought a Star in about 1984 or 5, I have loaded about 25K rounds of 45 acp on this one.  It was purchased at the same time as an MA indexer and Hulme case feeder.

About 1996, I had a primer tube explosion. (I had never cleaned the machine and the fault was totally, mine).

I loaded a couple thousand rounds after that, but the maching has spent several years in the box the movers packed in in when I left Atlanta in 1997.

I have cleaned it up and am ordering a EZ Loader from TD Oniell, who posts here.  

I own at present an RCBS A, a Dillon 550, a CH single station, I have owned a CH 4 station, a Dillon 450, a Herter's C press.

The Star is simply the best of the lot!  Mine, when clean and adjusted, will produce match quality ammo effortlessly.  

I am disappointed that the machine we paid about $900 for with the Hulme and the MA indexer is now only worth 300 to 450 dollars.

The only machine that can compare is the Dillon 1050, they are about 1400 to 1600 bucks.  I think the Star a real outstanding value.

in fact, I am looking for a machine in 10mm or a universal to convert to 10mm.

Thanks for the Star Reloaders Forum!
Yours in Marksmanship,

Michael Carlin

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Atlanta
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2005, 06:42:42 am »
Michael,
I see you a lot on NM or is it AR15. Did we know each other when you lived in Atlanta? I lived in Duluth from 10-93 through 11-2000 and shot rifle at RBGC and did the club newsletter too.
Currently I am in pursuit of that little gold pin and my hardballer is being built and I should have it soon.
What caused your primer tube explosion?
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray

Michael Carlin

• Active Members
  • Don't let the bastards get you down!
    • View Profile
Where we may have met previously
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2005, 11:36:18 pm »
Ray,

I shot one match at River Bend with a rifle while I was stationed at USARC in Atlanta(1992-97). I think it was about 1995.  Mostly I shot IPSC there because I had equipment for that, and they played regularly at South
River Gun Club.

We have met at Perry, where I bought some stuff from you.
I am chasing the pin with the rifle, have slowly crept up, this year I will be earning some points.

The cause of the primer tube explosion, I was in a hurry and was cranking out a couple hundred rounds for practice. The machine was binding up a bit because I had spilled some 231 on it. I was loading in the basement of a friend's house.

The primer arm probably was carrying a little powder in it, and this prevented the fed primer from seating all the way down, as the slide moved forward the primer was crushed sideways because it was sticking up too high. This due to some powder on the shell plate and platen?.

This set some of the primers in the tube off , and the remainder were ejected into the sub flooring of the first floor .  The are still some unexploded primers buried in the bottom surface of the subflooring. (The hanging ceiling tiles were shredded, and the primer follower was stuck into the joist).

My fault entirely, should have stopped and cleaned up, should have stopped to see what the "hang up was instead of forcing it.

By the way, when I ordered parts from Star, I told was not the first to have blown up a primer magazine.  In fact the guy I spoke to did not seem to think it a really big deal. (Perhaps he was supressing his laughter at my stupidity.)

NEVER LET ANY PORTION OF YOUR BODY OVERHANG THE PRIMER SYSTEM WHILE THE MACHINE IS BEING OPERATED!
Yours in Marksmanship,

Michael Carlin

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
powder magazine
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2005, 07:26:53 pm »
On five (5 ) of the six magazines that I have the plastic is excelon r 2000 FDA . This material is FDA approved rigid PVC tubing.
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA