Author Topic: Removal of #46 Rocker Arm Tappet & #75 the Brass Primer Slide Housing  (Read 7939 times)

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
Is possible to remove the Rocker Arm Tappet #46 (as part of a thorough clean-up) without separating the
steel Floor Base from the Aluminum Base?  I've removed the Primer Punch Rocker Arm #45, but can't figure out how to remove #46 without more disassembly than I'm up for.

Can #75* the Brass primer slide housing (a part specially fit for the specific machine at the factory) be removed and then reinstalled on the same machine without gigs, fixtures, or a lot of headaches? (again, for clean-up)

Thanks
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Removal of #46 Rocker Arm Tappet & #75 the Brass Primer Slide Housing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:54:52 am »
On most machines, you do have to remove the aluminum base in order to remove the Rocker arm tappet.  When you reinstall the Rocker arm tappet, put some grease on the large diameter edge and on the bottom where it contacts the rocker arm.

Yes, you can remove the #75 brass primer casting and reinstall it on the same machine.  The screw with the rounded head goes on the right.   When reinstalling the rocker arm, the pointier end goes under the primer punch.   If you reverse it, the primer punch will protrude above the primer punch bushing.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:43:58 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »
On most machines, you do have to remove the aluminum base in order to remove the Rocker arm tappet.  When you reinstall the Rocker arm tappet, put some grease on the large diameter edge and on the bottom where it contacts the rocker arm.

Thanks for the information, Bruce.  In order to remove the aluminum base, does the column (#'s 58 & 80) need to be removed?  (don't have access to machine until tonight, so I can't look at the moment) If so, are there tricks-of-the-trade to insure correct column alignment when reinstalling?  And, what would be approx. torque for installing #80 (if removed).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:19:02 pm by FOR_Star »
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »
You must remove #80 Column Nut to remove the aluminum base.   You might want to give it a good soak with WD-40 or Kroil ahead of time to soften up rust or any varnished oil.   To remove the column nut, I put a taper pin in the taper pin hole in the column then hold the column in a vice between some SOFT jaws, using the taper pin to prevent the column from rotating.  For most Stars you need a 1 7/16" socket.  For some you need a 1 1/2" Socket.   It is likely to take considerable force, but there is no particular torque spec that I know of.

If you don't have a good vice with SOFT jaws don't attempt to remove the nut.  You are sure to bugger up the column

Almost all Stars have a dowel pin that goes through the aluminum base into the steel base.  This assures proper alignment. 

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com