Author Topic: Last two Stars Produced?  (Read 16143 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Last two Stars Produced?
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:57:54 am »
Recently two Star Uinversals were listed on Ebay, one in 38 Special and one in 45 ACP.  The pair sold for of $1,504.99.    Aside from a little storage rust they were in excellent condition, and seem to include all of the original accessories that would have shipped with the reloaders, including the original shipping cartons.   

However, the most interesting item included with the loaders was the original invoice from Star dated July 7, 1993.  Since it's pretty well accepted that Star closed their doors mid 1993, these have to be among the last reloaders assembled by Star.

Note:   When I originally wrote the above, I was under the impression that Star stopped producing reloaders in 1993.   Magma Engineering had told me that they purchased the Lubesizer business in 1993 so I assumed that the reloader business was sold to Bill Cunningham at the same time.  I subsequently learned that Bill Cunningham bought the business in 1997, so Star was producing at least some reloaders until that time.   Also, I have price lists for both 1996 and 1997, confirming they were still operating at that time.

As Lifetyme indicates below, Star was not selling many reloaders in the final years.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:08:34 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Last two Stars Produced?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:09:18 pm »
I think they have to be towards the last, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:00:47 pm »
Probably as close as you can get to new in the box.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:45:23 pm »
Somebody posted prices from the different era's. Are there liat prices for the last production?

Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:21:43 pm »
Based on the price sheets that I have, the price should have been $925 in 1993.   However, there is no line item for shipping charges, so I think the $947 is just the price with shipping included.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:09:03 pm »
The last invoice that I recieved from star is dated Apr 2, 1993, and included a price list dated 1-1-93, it also included an Order Form that had a notation at the bottom of the form stateing that:  All prices F.O.B. Factory:
Send adequate amount for shipping with your remittance. California residents include sales tax.

Universal reloader........$925.00
Extra tool head.............345.00
Set of dies...................155.00

Lubricator & resizer with die and bullet punch...$157.50

Lindy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:37:46 am by varmintpopper »

Lifetyme

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 12:56:23 am »
I was in the shop as they were closing.  Parts and jigs were in boxes and Bill Cunningham was there picking it all up for the haul to Pioneer.  I had quite a visit with George and he told me that in spite of a price reduction on the machines, they had only sold two during the previous year.  I don't recall what the last price was but there were machines in the shop ready to go.

Remember by this time both Lifetyme and Hulme were gone.  Dillon had killed their reloading machine business.  They were making dies in-house and George had asked me for the loan of a Hulme feeder for use as a pattern when the property sold and the decision to sell was made.

Regards,

Bob
Best Regards.

Bob