Author Topic: Need help with Star presses  (Read 9490 times)

Mike

• View Profile
    • http://www.hodgdon.com
Need help with Star presses
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:19:17 pm »
Today, I purchased two star loaders.  One prety much complete in 38 spl and the other in parts but it looks like it is set up for 38 as well.  Both have case feeders.  I got 25 case tubes and between 59 and 100 primer tubes.  There are also four boxes of parts.  

I have questions on the type of presses I hav4, are there an photos of the auto index systems?, how should the safetycam work?  Is there a source for powder slides?

I got three sets of instructions with the presses 1966.1968 and 1970.  These were used by the B.E. Hodgdon COmpany for remanufacturing ammo during this time period.  It was sold through the wholesale part of the business.

Anyway, I gave $100 for the works.  

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike
new to Star and full of questions

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Need help with Star presses
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 11:37:15 pm »
Hi Mike,
Congrats on the great purchase.  You'll find the Star a well designed tool that will last a long long time (if you take care of it). To answer your questions,

(1) the safety cam snaps into place when a loaded round hits that station.  You need to manualy push the safety cam back after removing the round from that station.  The idea is to force the operator to stop and reset the safety cam so the press can operate.  

(2) I brought several poweder slides over the years from various sources.  I think James Haverhill (on this list) has a good selection.  New bars can be had from Bill Cunningham [no e-mail]@ Star Machine Works.  Richard Daniels (SIC) makes a Hoag style adjustable for the Star, and of course you can find parts on eBay.  
(3)  For great manuals and instructions, check with "STARREL" as he has a great library of material on Stars.  
-Steve