Author Topic: 38/357 or universal ?  (Read 11518 times)

shooterguns

• View Profile
38/357 or universal ?
« on: January 17, 2004, 10:43:20 pm »
How can I tell the differance between the 38/357 and the universal. I have a friend that inherited a star machine and he doesn't know ether.
thanks

Duane Otis

• View Profile
38/357 or universal ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 11:32:33 pm »
The easiet way is to measure the thickness of the charge bar. The Progressive charge bar height is about .265 and marked with a single letter 0. The Universal charge Bar is Marked as 00 and is about .318. If your machine does not have a powder charge bar installed..just measure the opening for it. The Progressive was designed for .38 Special and if your machine has .38 Special dies already installed it is probably a.s Progressive.

Duane

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
Best way to visually tell a Universal from a Progressive
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 01:06:39 am »
There is only one thing wrong with using the powder charge bar/housing as an indicator... The Universal can use these same parts!

The Progressive model does not have one feature that is critically important and easy to identify visually: There are no shell plate locating straps to adjust for different calibers and shell plates. Shell plate locating straps are the very best and completely reliable visual indicator of the Universal model and the part is always on the reloading tool even without a tool head installed. Nearly any photo of a Steel floor base will show you instantly whether it is Universal or Progressive.

Look at http://www.starreloaders.com/manuals/star_manual_p3.jpg and you will be able to see the location for the part in the the right hand diagram. #79U is the part to look for. There are three of them on the steel floor base.

Another helpful item is a picture of this part so you can see exactly what to look for:

This is the picture of one #79U shell plate locating strap (lower left hand of the picture).

There have been instances of Universals setup with "O" powder slides and housings. The configuration limits the loading capability of the Universal but it does not make them Progressive models... Progressive models do not have the locating straps -- this is 100% reliable and a visual confirmation is all that is needed.

I hope this helps,

Ross

Duane Otis

• View Profile
38/357 or universal ?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 02:26:45 am »
Howdy Ross !

Got me there. I have one Progressive and One Universal. Just checked them out again. You are correct for sure.

Thanks, Duane

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
Universal and Progresssive are Both Great
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 01:23:36 pm »
Hi Duane,

They are both great Star reloading tools. The very first Star I purchased was sold as a Progressive and turned out to be a Universal -- if you are to be surprised, this is the best way, but it is better to be informed.

One other issue I should have mentioned is that a Progressive will accept the "OO" powder slides and housing needed to load .357's larger charges of powder. Star reports not making "O" slides so most of the remaining supply is from people with old ones to share or that make their own from blanks, or switch to the "OO" housing and use "OO" slides.

If you would be so kind, could you please photograph your Progressive's  Steel Floor Base in a view similar to the one in the picture of my last post? If your camera does not get that close, just send the highest quality you camera will do (largest image size) so that the base is focused clearly. I would like to include your Progressive's base pictured along side a Universal for comparison. If you could send it to the forum admin, I am sure he will add it for us.

Thanks,

Ross