Author Topic: My Progressive almost there  (Read 9256 times)

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
My Progressive almost there
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:32:26 pm »
Well, thanks to the efforts of friend Dale53, my like-new 50 year old Star Progressive is up and running.  Everything for basic operation to make .38 SPL midrange wadcutters with 3.0 of BullsEye is present and tested.  My Hulme Case Feeder is fine except for the still-missing case feed tube... I guess I still need to find the right clear tubing to make it work totally correctly. 

The rest of the story is that I would like to "pump up the volume" and load somewhat hotter loads with perhaps 2700 or other higher pressure powder and use the Ideal 357156 semi-wadcutter bullet.  What I need to know is whether I should be able to just change a seating plug and the (#0) powder slide to make this work, or if not, what else?  Continuing, is this a good and logical use of the Star Progressive, and are there any safety issues I need to be aware of?  Also, once adjusted, can I switch back and forth between the lighter, target charge and the more stout "social" charge by simply changing the powder bar (assuming seating depth is checked out as OK) and have two loads with that one alteration?

Before you think I'm a total loony newbie here, I have loaded on gear from Ideal tong tools through C- and O- presses to turrets to Dillons (the last of which admittedly I didn't set up for myself.)  What I am trying to do here is make sure I don't do anything wrong (or irreversibly wrong) in setting this particular sequence up for this purpose with what for me is a totally foreign operating system.  As I calculate it right now, I need to find and purchase the tube for the case loader, a seater plug for the different bullet nose (or perhaps a whole seating die assembly?) and the #0 size powder slide(s) in the proper capacity for my desired load.  What if anything am I missing here?  Is there a safe and reliable adjustable charge slide available in the smaller, #0 size?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: My Progressive almost there
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:42 am »
For adjustable powder bars you can contact Rich Daniels on this site as Barrel tester.

You will have to search and look. I do not recall where I read them, but there are some posts on this site about tube sources. Maybe an e-mail to RBWillNJ on this site. He may know without looking. Bruce is a wealth of knowledge.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:37 am »
Recently I have been using the Lyman 358156 gas checked Bullet with 3.1 grains of Bullseye for Distinguished Revolver.  I gives great 50 yard accuracy using my Smith & Wesson K-38.   You should still be able to load 3.1 grains of Bullseye with a "0" powder slide.  As Ken suggested, you should be able to get a "0" adjustable powder slide from Rich Daniels (Barrel Tester on this forum).

If by "Social Charge" you mean a full "357" load, you will probably need a 1/2" Powder Side.   I use the same bullet over 13.2 grains of Hogdons 4227 in a .357 case.  From my S&W 686, I get a 1/4" group at 25 yards.

I you are "really" interested in pumping up the volume, I have a Holmes tube filler with 25 tubes for sale.  This is a Collator that fills five Hulme tubes at once.  These things are pretty rare, I have only seen one other.

The previous owner had a height restriction in his loading area, so he reduced the height of the tube filler and the tubes to accommodate his space.   The 25 original Hulme tubes included have been cut to about 23" each, or a little less than half the original length.

If you are interested, send me a PM
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »
Another picture of the Holmes tube filler.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:51 am »
Thanks for the offer of a tube loader, rbwillnj, but I don't want to make this thing any more complex at this time... if I could just get a couple of tubes for the existing Hulme, I think that would be enough for now... along with making the changes needed to load the bullet I want to use at a power level appropriate for the situation.  If I then get going with a lot of loading, perhaps a tube loader or other "advanced" accessory will be more attractive and become "necessary." 

Does anyone want to comment on the usefulness of and consistent charges from the adjustable charge bars in the smaller (0) size? At first glance buying one of these for the range of, say Unique or Bullseye powder I need seems like a logical move for me at this time.  Also, should I be able to change a seating plug, or do I need a complete seater die with plug to use the longer nosed 357156 instead of the die for flush seated wad cutter currently on the press?  I have used these features on other types of presses and dies, but am not familiar with those for the Star. 

Thanks again for all help received and still coming!

Froggie

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Powder Charge Consistency
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:03:12 pm »
Greetings,

I load 32 Long WadCutter and my charges range from 1.2 through 2.0 grains of Bullseye. I use fixed bushings in a #0 (1/4" thick) bar with good consistency. I was never able to meter small charges with flake powders, such as Unique, Red Dot, Clays, etc, with any success.

If you stick to one of the ball powders, the small adjustable bar should suit your needs.

To test your setup, meter out ten charges and weigh the total. Then repeat this process several times and observe the variation. It should repeat within +/-0.2 grains for the total ten charges. Be sure to use the same cadence when you operate the machine.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson