Author Topic: Selling Star reloaders - Pictures Added  (Read 14432 times)

Hook

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Selling Star reloaders - Pictures Added
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:44:07 am »
Gentlemen, I just registered on this forum to get some help with Star products. Although I have been a reloader for 30 years, I have no personal experience with Star equipment. This past Dec., a friend/co-worker passed away leaving his widow with a house full of 'stuff' that had belonged to his Dad. Dad was a very talented machinist and reloader/gunsmith. My co-worker had no interest in these things and, on top of that, was a world class procrastinator. Even though I constantly hammered him about doing something about his Dad's stuff, he let the house sit empty for 14 years.

Now that his widow is disposing of the estate, I have agreed to handle the 'gun stuff' in the house. I've sold most of the guns and just began the process of inventorying and pricing the reloading stuff. Included in the loot are two Star loaders, a Progressive and a Universal (at least according to the photo in the FAQ section that's what they are), as well as a Star luber/sizer.

I was hoping you experts here can help me price them. At present, they will not be for sale here....I plan to first offer them to my local buddies. If there is no interest there, then I will place them here for sale.

They appear to be in very good shape despite having sat in a basement bolted to a table for 14 years. There is some rust and a lot of dust but I doubt they are hurt at all. There are likely many accessories for them, but until I get all the boxes unpacked I won't know what all. Even when I see them, I probably will have a hard time ID'ing them for what they are. I am pretty sure there is some sort of case feeding system because I found a handful of long, white plastic tubes and a metal funnel that should be the prime components of such.

I can take some detailed photos of them if needed. If you will help me come up with a price range for these three items I will be greatly appreciative. I hope to get a price 'range' because I plan to sell them for the lower end of that range in order to move them fairly quickly, yet still get the widow a fair price. By the way, I will not be making anything for these sales....all the money will go to her. I do plan to buy the luber/sizer myaself if I can afford it, so I plan to stick around on this forum and pester y'all about how to use it properly.

Any help will be appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:41:09 am by Hook »

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Selling Star reloaders
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:16:46 am »
See my posts in the area on prices and values to get an idea.
Under Survey Says forum.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Hook

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:42:38 pm »
Kenn, that is a great thread and resource. Thank you very much for putting those comps in one place for Star newbies like me and old timers, too.  Now, if I could just get to a comfort level on the two loaders I am selling w.r.t. their completeness and condition, I'd feel better prepared to price them. Looks like I need to do some homework on them.

I did not see any comps on the Star sizer/luber except one reference to what one was priced at years ago. Is there a similar thread for them that I have missed?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:53:31 pm »
Brand New Star sizers made by Magma Engineering are still available.   I believe the current price is $250 which does not include any dies or punches.   Dies sell new for $40, punches for around $18.   So it really just comes down to how close to new your sizer is and how many dies and punches are included.   With one die and punch, they routinely sell on eBay for $175-$250...some original Stars in "new" condition sell for even more than a new Magma.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Hook

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Star reloaders - Pictures Added
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:49:38 am »
Here are pictures of the two loaders. I would greatly appreciate any direction from y'all so far as whether the units are complete and workable as is or whether there are major parts missing.

The pics got scrambled, but hopefully you will know which is which.....

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:52:08 am by Hook »

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:38 pm »
The following are obvious, others may be more observant.
Pictures 2,4,5,6, are missing powder tube, case feeder tube, primer follower rod.

Picture 3 missing powder housing, powder slide, and powder tube, as well as primer follower rod.

You can check out the pictures and diagrams associated with the Star Reloaders home page of this site to get a better idea of parts and accessories.

They do look like they need some care and attention, but not beyond hope.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Hook

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:21 pm »
Thanks again, Kenn. You have been more than helpful. I found the diagrams and parts list and now know what to look for. I have no doubt that I have the missing stuff plus a case feeder of some sort. It's just a matter of sorting through all the cans and boxes to find it. Now I know what I'm looking for.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:02:06 pm »
One of the units has the case feeder installed. Check the tubes. they may fit in the  aliminum block sitting on pins on top pf the [edit]'y bolted to the machined base. This w/b the complete case feeder. Kenn has steered you right as to missing parts & checking the diagrams. I''m not sure if dies are all in place. The angles used in pics hide that area somewhat. The size of the (hole) taper crimp station, whether there are tc dies are important. Older machines have a small threaded hole while newer are drilled & tapped the same as the other die stations

Check any brass tubes as they should be primer feed & pick up tubes. You should at least apply light oil to prevent further rusting from handling. Might make a mess but will pay off in the end.

Good Luck,
Ron

Edubya

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »
Hook, it might help someone to come to your aid if they knew where you call home. Someone on this forum might be in your neck of the woods and would gladly come over and help you figure it out.
EW

Hook

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 02:39:20 pm »
Many thanks for the information y'all have shared. Using it, I offered the reloaders up to my local guys first and sold them both. I guess everyone knows a good product when they see them. As soon as I can move enough of the estate stuff, I will break down and clean the Star sizer/luber and put it to work. I'm sure at that point I'll be pestering the guys over in that forum for information.

Again, thank you for your input. It really made a difference.