Author Topic: Starting Up  (Read 16685 times)

Ronald T

• Active Members
  • 604-820-1564
    • View Profile
Starting Up
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:04:30 am »
Greetings.  My Father gave me his Star Universal a couple of years ago.  I used to help him load 38 special, some 30 years ago or more.  Well, now I am getting her up and running as I have picked up a new hobby called Cowboy Action Shootin and between my wife and myself, have to feed four single action revolvers and two lever action rifles.  The loader is set with 38 special dies and a 2.8 gr powder bar.  At this time I have no powder or primers.  My plan is to load 130 grain lead round nose flat point with a velocity between 750-800 fps max.  I need all the assitance you feel like giving.  Like I said, I have loaded with the machine but it was 30+ years ago.  Specifically, which primers and powder would you suggest to get me up and running? 

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.
Ronald T
Mission BC
Canada

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Up
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:44:44 am »
you can not go wrong with win or fed primers and 2.8 of bull is a great load for the 38 that is what I load works great   Pat   from    Kalifornia

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:58:08 pm »
Pat mentions "2.8 of bull". He most likely means 2.8 of Bullseye. If this what the bar is calibrated for it will read 2.8 B.E. which is indeed a good pistol load. You don't mention a rifle cal but if they are 38 special the same load should be OK.

Cycle the machine w/o pdr, primers or brass and evaluate each station carefully. Do the same w/ cases in the machine. You will need to adjust dies for crimp & bullet seating depth. This is straightforward and cycling should show you what is needed. Check primer seating depth. They should not be crushed or significantly below the level of the case head. They may well be OK but if not, again, adj is straight fwd. Look at the parts diagram on this site.

Purchase a loading manual before the above.

The pdr assembly should be disassembled & cleaned thoroughly. Like wise the primer feed & seating punch. Lube the primer slide ways lightly w/ pdr'd graphite. There are small oiling holes in the head. I use hydraulic, trans, or motor oil. Lightly. Loosen the locknut on the mainshaft & raise the shellplate & clean well. Note the spring loaded ball brg detent. It will fill w/ debris & pdr & not "pop" up into the shell plate to index the plate correctly. Clean it by depressing the ball & hopefully you have compressed air to blow it & the other areas mentioned clean.

This machine is just the ticket for what you have in mind. One load used in quantity.

Ron H

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:28:59 pm »
Ronald T

Take a look at the top of the "powder slide" on your Star Reloader,, if it is stamped "2.8" followed by the
letters "B E"  that means it will throw 2.8 grains of bullseye powder, that should answer Your question about
what type of powder to use.
I could find no reference to the type and wieght of the bullet that you mentioned in your post so can't give
any recomendations there, but a 148 grain lead wadcutter bullet with 2.8 grains of Bullseye powder should
put your load at about 750 feet per second, and with good accuracy and not much recoil.
as far as primers go, any brand name Small Pistol primers should do, I prefer Winchester brand , but everyone to thier own. good luck with your reloading !    REMEMBER, a double charge of powder may blow your gun up !!!!

Lindy

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:15:59 pm »
Above advice sounds right on the money.  I have found that CCI primers can be a bit harder than some to seat w/o damagine them.  Like the above folks, I like Wincester.  Assume you will be using a roundnose bullet for Single action cowboy type matches.  Back off the seating screw on the seating die and tighten gradually.  (This assumes that tool was set up for deep-seating wadcutters, as so many were for bullseye matches.)

NM Bob

CHAWKI44

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:30:08 pm »
the powder slide you are using was made for 2.8 gr. of bullseye
38 spc. 121 gr. round nose  = velocity = 647 fps- - - -no problem using 130 gr bullet the heaver bullet will increase the burn time and pressure giving you a greater velocity closer to 750 fps.
information from #47 Lyman Reloading Handbook

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:21 pm »
For a number of years star users have reported feeding problems using CCI primers, especially large pistol. I have personally had this problem the cause identified as od being slightly larger than other brands & irregularities in roundness.

Currently primer acquisition can be a problem and if they (CCI) are used and problems encountered I would reccomend adding weight to the follower (I use a lg acorn nut soldered to the top) and/or loading the feed tube with no more than 50 at the time.

All this said I think the problem is not as likely when using small primers.

Ron H

Ronald T

• Active Members
  • 604-820-1564
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:34:45 am »
First let me say thank you to all that have replied.  This is an amazing site and the knowledge bank here is outstanding.  I did take the loader apart and cleaned her up.  I'll take a few pictures and post.  The powder slide is 2.8 BE and I will giving her a go with Winchester primers.  Way back when I used to load with my Father, I also molded and lube sized with the Star lube-sizer.  Unfortunately after my Dad's passing last summer, all the additional loading equipment disappeared.  I know he'd be glad to see her back up and running.  I'll let you all know how the first run goes and thanks again.

Ron T
Mission BC
Canada

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:07:45 am »
Its sounds like you have everything under control good luck and have some fun.

Ronald T

• Active Members
  • 604-820-1564
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38:34 am »
Gentlemen......just an update.  I found some Bullseye locally.  Purchased primers and lead and loaded up 150 rounds yesterday.  Range tested the ammo last night and success.  You have all been very helpful.  Much appreciated.  I will be adding a universal charge bar and am also looking for small pistol primer pick up tubes.  Anyone know who might have access to some?

Looking forward to hearing from you all.  Thanks again for all your help
Ronald T
Mission BC

phil218b

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:50:59 am »
Primer pick up tubes, I use dillon and rcbs, I just round the edge a little so it fits in the tube.

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:39:29 pm »
Hardwares & hobby stores often have tubing which can be adapted for use as primer pickup tubes.