Author Topic: Tips on How to Empty the Star Reloader Powder Tube  (Read 15324 times)

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Tips on How to Empty the Star Reloader Powder Tube
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:00 am »
Hi Guys:
I am quite new to the Star Forum.  However, I have had a Star Universal for a very long time.
So I am a Long Time / First Time User/Forum member.

That all said, I have my Star permanently set up on my reloading bench with 38 Special wadcutter for my S&W 52.2 target pistol.

I have always been in a quandry as to what is exactly the best way or method to empty the Star machine's powder magazine tube when my reloading done for an expected extended period?  I keep my powder tube very full as I find that the powder drop is more consistant when at least filled at greater than 50% or more.

Can any of you perhaps share, in a step by step manner, how you accomplish emptying your powder Tube?

I noticed someone has sort of invented a nifty one-off powder shut off that requires a modification of the charge bar holder.... this was posted somewhere here in the forum with pictures....

All ears and eager to learn any tricks you all may have developed.

Thanks in Advance....
Art In CT
Art In Connecticut

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on How to Empty the Star Reloader Powder Tube
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:19:58 pm »
there is people that take out the tapered pin out and undo the spring and turn the head upside down and empty out the powder that way. I have a powder shut off on my 38 and 45 machines I love them so easy and no problem

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:23:05 pm »
Hi Art from so. ct. where I lived for many years.What I have been doing for ever is to remove the spring from the powder slide housing cover, back out both housing screws while holding down the powder slide housing cover and lift the whole assembly off the press and dump the powder back into the container.

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »
+1 starman.  Pushing the pin out, removing the return spring and lifting the head off probably takes 30 seconds.  Then just tip the die head and dump the powder out of the measure.   Sounds more complicated than it is.

John

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:09:34 pm »
that is why I use a powder shut off makes life a lot easer and im for that

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:38:48 pm »
Physical handicap pretty much precludes my tipping the entire head so here's my method. Cut approx a 3" section from a plastic milk jug which has the corner (90 deg) in it, then;
1. loosen the hopper
2. Insert the corner of the plastic between the hopper & top of the housing
3. Holding above in place drain the pdr into original container

A small plastic cup (yogurt) may work better than the plastic mentioned above-just trim one side away for access.

bobmm

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:59:45 pm »
i unscrew the hopper until a matchbook cover (sans matches) slid in between and transfer it to the powder can, then pull the handle with an empty case at station....bob