Author Topic: First impressions (and cartridges).  (Read 5822 times)

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
First impressions (and cartridges).
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:42 am »
At the risk of wearing out my welcome, I'll share that I completed my first cartridges on my Progressive yesterday. I have some fine tuning to do but everything seemed to work well except for the operator.

As a result of this being my first progressive reloader, I got really good at removing the tool head and the shell plate and cleaning powder out of the base.  I do have a powder drain, which I will eventually remember to use !

In the limited amount of time spent reloading (versus cleaning  :)  ) I immediately noticed how well this machine works. I'm used to single stage or Lee Turret press operation. The turret works, but it's fiddley...the shell needs to be manually futzed with to get the primer seated, the indexing is not always ...indexed, etc.  The Star makes this all seem easy (once I remember that every handle pull drops powder!).

The case feeder works fine and the whole unit operates very smoothly.... no news to all of you who have owned and operated these machines for some time, but it's really fun using these fine old loaders!

Thanks to all of you for the help so far. Now... on to the sizer!

John

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions (and cartridges).
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:26 pm »
Glad your enjoying it, the longer you run it, the better you will get at running it, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member