Author Topic: 357 magnum load data question  (Read 9602 times)

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
357 magnum load data question
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:20:42 pm »
Forgive me if this is a beginner question but I am a beginner reloader.

I just got my star press set up for 357 magnum ammo that I'll be using in a revolver and now I'm looking at load data and  I have two powders on hand, Bullseye and Trailboss

I found two sources of data for the bullseye powder - Lee modern reloading and the Alliant web site and only the Hogden web site for the trail boss.

What bothers me is that the Lee manual says to use from 5.8 to 6.5 grains of BE while the Alliant web site says to use only  4.8grains. Of course the velocity is greater with the larger loads but why such a wide range? Why does Lee show a minimum of 5.8 while Lee shows a minimum of 4.8? 

Bottom line is that I have a 6.0 BE charge bar for my star press that I am hoping to use. According to Lee I should be fine but the smaller 4.8 recommendation from Hogden bothers me.

So a few questions

1 Is 6.0 grains of Bullseye safe? Do i believe Lee or play it safe and go with Hogden's smaller load?
2 Has anyone used Trail Boss in a 357 magnum and is it good bad or ugly?

Being that I can't find supplies to buy anywhere Iam limited to what I have on hand.

Any help?

Mike.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 357 magnum load data question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 05:10:25 pm »
Greetings,

I did not see what bullet is being used.

Please reply with the bullet, weight, and diameter.

If store bought, a link to where you buy them.

If home cast, what mould and alloy?

Cheers,

Dave

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 05:32:29 pm »
Dave

Sorry for the oversight. I'm using 158gr LSWC that I bought from stateline bullets

https://statelinebullets.com/shop/cast-pistol-bullets/38-357-cast-pistol-bullets/38-158-gr-swc/

Mike.

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:22 pm »
Another question

I have a bunch of old bullets that were sized and lubed about 40 to 50 years ago. The lube is brown and I'm hesitant to use them because the lube looks a little dry. Do you guys think that it would matter? I've been loading the stateline bullets that I bought up to this point but I'm tempted to use the old ones.

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:51:02 pm by mikefamig »

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:56:16 pm »
Greetings,

Personally, I would go with the Alliant suggestion. It uses the 158 grain Speer swaged bullet; but, the weight, diameter and seating depth are very close to the StateLine bullets you have.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=158&shellid=28&bulletid=30&bdid=82

Regarding the old bullets, depends on how many you have and what amount of work you wish to apply.

One, put them in a old can, fill with water and boil. The grease will float to the top. Let it all cool down overnight. Then remove the grease film, drain the water and dry the bullets.

If you have a bullet greaser, just run them through and reapply the grease.

No luber? No worries, go buy a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox. Put a handful of bullets into a ZipLoc bag, squirt in a very small amount of Alox, shut the bag and give the contents a nice massage.

Once all coated, empty the bag onto an old cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Dry the bullets overnight, load, and shoot.

Use a minimum powder charge to minimize Lead fouling.

Another option is to not boil the grease away. Just lube them as above with the Lee Liquid Alox. This option assumes the bullets are not to crusty from age.

Cheers,

Dave

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 07:22:58 pm »
Thanks Dave. These still have a waxy substance filling the groove and don't look bad, I just wonder if the lube would do it's job after so many years. I like the idea of just massaging them in some new lube.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 07:51:54 pm »
Greetings,

A while back, I was gifted about 2,000 32 HBWC that had been stored in a wet climate. They were ugly. White crust on them and the lube consumed by the elements.

I gave them the Lube Massage with Lee Liquid Alox and shot them up.

One day, I tested some at 50 yards in a machine rest. They still shot X-ring.

Use caution. If the bullets have a white crust on them it is likely Lead Oxide, which is VERY POISONOUS. Wear disposable examination gloves when handling them and wash up well.

Cheers,

Dave

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:17:52 pm »
Using the 148 grain SWC You have on hand, I suggest a starting load of 4.8 grains of Bullseye, watch for leading near the forcing cone, if it leads, try increasing the powder by .5 grains until leading stops. Don't exceed  7.0 grains.
Use this suggestion at Your own risk ! 

Good Shooting

Lindy

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:55 pm »
Thanks Lindy but it is a 158 grain bullet, not 148. I think that your numbers are still good though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:38:25 am by mikefamig »

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:46 pm »
My Bad ,,, Typo,,, Ment to say 158 gr
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:00:42 am by varmintpopper »

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 01:25:15 am »
I have a 5gr and a 6gr charge bar so I'll start with the 5. I am still curious why the Lee book calls for 5.8 to 6.4 grains. Based on that I was prepared to start with the 6 grain charge bar. How is Lee so far from the 4.8 recommended by Alliant?

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:35:50 am by mikefamig »

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 09:47:00 am »
Using the 148 grain SWC You have on hand, I suggest a starting load of 4.8 grains of Bullseye, watch for leading near the forcing cone, if it leads, try increasing the powder by .5 grains until leading stops. Don't exceed  7.0 grains.
Use this suggestion at Your own risk ! 

Good Shooting

Lindy
:)

Lindy

Have you personally loaded as much as 7 grains of BE with this bullet or are you going by the Lee table? I would love to hear some real life experience as opposed to data. This is my first time loading these and have no idea of what is reasonable.

Mike.

Mike.

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 11:50:53 am »
Reading around the net I'm seeing accounts of using from as little as 2.7 grain 38spc loads thru 7 grains of Bullseye powder with the 158 grain LSWC in a 357 magnum casing which is not much help to me. I have however seen more than one recommendation around 5gr for a nice accurate load. Seems to me the 357 casing is very versatile.

Any other suggestions?

Mike.

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 05:56:06 pm »
For anyone who might be interested, I found a bit of information today that explains why there is such a wide range of loads recommended for the BE powder, 158gr swc in a 357 magnum casing. The answer lies in the hardness of the bullet. Larger loads call for harder bullets to withstand the heat and pressures of the load.

My bullets are BHN 16 which is relatively hard and capable of being fired at the higher end of the scale of powder loads. I am not certain if it is a problem to use hard bullets at lower load/pressures but I am convinced that it is a problem to use soft lead at higher load/pressures.

Now I'm close to making a decision but not quite there yet. I have three Bullseye charge bars that fall into the range of 357 magnum loads for 158gr lswc bullets, 3.5, 5.0 and 6.0.

Has anyone here used any of the above combinations who are willing to share their experience?

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:09:53 pm by mikefamig »

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 12:47:03 am »
Mike
Your Question: I don't recall ever loading 7 grains of Bullseye for The 158 gr LSWC in 357 mag, I think that would be a little to hot.  Never had to get to 7 grs.
When developing a load for 357 mag using Bullseye I normally start with the suggested start load in "Alliant Powder reloading guide" and work up.
4.8 gr of Bullseye behind Your 158 LSWC should give a velocity of around 940 feet in a 6 inch barrel. Use Your 5 gr powder slide, load a dozen and give them a try. check for over pressure signs, check for leading, leading near the forcing cone  will indicate you need to increase the amount of powder, leading near the muzzle indicates high pressure. and then start tweeking the powder charge for accuracy.
I bought My first Star loader in 1956 "still have it" and a few more.

Good Shooting

Lindy