Author Topic: Setting the taper crimper  (Read 8848 times)

Ken

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Setting the taper crimper
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:28:58 pm »
Is there a method of setting up the taper crimp die for 45? I pulled a few bullets from reloaded rounds and found lines on them from the shell rim (jacketed SWC). Maybe the die is set too low? thanks.

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Setting the taper crimper
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:44:13 am »
Ken
A re sized Case inside dimension is slightly smaller than the bullet, and when the bullet is seated/forced into the case by the seater die there is sufficient friction to hold the bullet in the case.  So the Taper Crimp die is only used to return the belled portion of the case back so that it lays flat against the bullet but not forced into
the bullet. (Leaves a ring) So You should only adjust the taper crimp die down just enough to remove the Bell. (And enough that the finished cartridge fits into the gun
chamber.) Hope this helps.

Good Shooting

Lindy

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:26:54 am »
A lot of folks adjust the taper crimp to achieve a certain dimension at the case mouth,   I taper crimp to .469" at the case mouth (with a bullet inserted).  Others crimp a little more or a little less.

Personally I wouldn't worry about a ring on the bullet.  The lead core of a jacketed bullet is very soft.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:18 pm »
Is there a method of setting up the taper crimp die for 45? thanks.

Hi Ken,
Here is a fixture I made to check .45acp crimp diameters. Much better than calipers. The .476 dia is a "Martindale Gage" for checking case bulge and oversize rims, The case passes through if good.

Ken

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:46:50 pm »
thanks for the responses - they are all very helpful.