Author Topic: .45 ACP Load Data  (Read 15123 times)

My(2)Cents

• Active Members
    • View Profile
.45 ACP Load Data
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:05:34 pm »
Hi all I just bought some bullets from MBC that are 200gr LRNFP for my XD and I can't find any load data in my books for this bullet with bullseye powder. Has anyone ever used this? Up untill now I have been useing 230 gr LSWC and have plenty of data for that.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:32:07 pm by My(2)Cents »

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Re: .45 ACP Load Data
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:06:13 am »
Start with 3.4g of Bullseye and work your way up.  3.4 will be a powder puff BULLSEYE 10Xring accurate load all the way up to 3.8g.
What rate recoil spring do you have in your 1911?  With the above light load, you may have do drop down to a 13# recoil spring or even less.
You will know to do this if your spent shell gets caught in the ejection process or you start having the slide not stay open after the last round.
Watch where the cases drop... on these light loads, they sometime only gently flip up and over about 1 foot.

Do not load up loads of rounds at the low rates.

I would do 15 (3 5 shot groups) at 3.4,  3.5,  3.6,  3.7 and 3.8 and see from rest what works any cycles best.
Bring a few low weight recoil springs and bushing wrench with you to the range.

Use different targets for each load so you can analyze the results.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:07:50 am by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut

My(2)Cents

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:13:19 am »
Good info but I don't have a 1911 (yet) what I shoot is a springfield XD 45 with the 4 in brl. My question is about these new bullet heads I just got and there doesn't seem to be any load data on them. There is plenty of info on a 200 gr Lead SWC but not a RNFP.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:36:34 am »
I think you could easily use the 200 grain LSWC data for the LRNFP bullet.  The important criteria is the bullet weight and the material (ie lead).   Personally I would go with 4.0 grains of Bullseye.    I'm sure you know that XD's do not like LSWC. 

A friend of mine has used one of my Stars to load lots of 225 grain Lyman 452630 round nose bullets for his XD with great results.  Unfortunately I can't remember the load for the 225 grain bullet, but I think it was 3.5-3.8 grains of Bullseye.   It might be counter intuitive, but for a lighter bullet you need more powder.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:31:06 pm »
Right Bruce, with the lighter bullet you do need more powder, the recoil is less and the pistol may not cycle correctly.

Hummm... 4" barrel eh?  Without the ability to change recoil springs (are there various spring weights available for the XD 45?), then this somewhat limits you.

Art In Connecticut

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »
Good info but I don't have a 1911 (yet) what I shoot is a springfield XD 45 with the 4 in brl. My question is about these new bullet heads I just got and there doesn't seem to be any load data on them. There is plenty of info on a 200 gr Lead SWC but not a RNFP.

The RNFP bullet is used in the .45 Colt, that's why you won't see any data for it.  Having said that, I have loaded them in .45 ACP cases and used them in my Gold Cup and Clark without any problems.  I just used the .45 ACP data and made sure I taper crimped them rather than roll crimping into the crimp groove on the bullet.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

xring2245

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:07:28 am »
4.2gr. of Bullseye is a good load.  You must taper crimp.

James
James J. Grimes
NRA Endowment Member
Distinguished Pistol #1496
NRA Distinguished Revolver
ATA Trap
Muzzleloading