Author Topic: Static charge?  (Read 7350 times)

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Static charge?
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:28:52 am »
I'm not going to rub cat fur up against a powder container or priner stack.  Just wondering, does anyone ground their machine? 

(Que 'Twilight Zone' intro  here.)

salty

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Static charge?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:50:17 am »
I do not have my machines grounded. Given the fact the powder is encased in the powder tube, and no direct electrial contact I see no need for this, nor do I use any electrical accessories on my machine.  If you use electrical powered accessories, similar to the Dillon case collater, etc., these should already be grounded through a three prong plug.
I do use a radio in the area, as well as have other electric items in proximity, but not attached to the machine. Given the fact the powder is encased in the powder tube, does not  emit explosive vapors like fluids, etc., and there is no direct electrial contact, I see no need for this.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:14:09 pm by NYKenn »
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »
not too sharp on elecricity. but electricity has to hve a path to follow, a conductor. if there is no continuity to grd the current has no place to go. so it would not spark/arc at point of contact with press. however assuming press is mounted on a non-conductive suface. oh hell,, just shot down my first academic oratory for today.

Ma.
maurilew

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 03:33:23 pm »
OhhhBoy, I've shot myself in the foot (figuratively) many times.  ;D

The weather is getting a little cool and a short blue spark occasionaly fires from finger tip to whatever I contact.  It happened this morning, thus the question.

Thanks,

salty