Author Topic: WST loads for 38 wadcutters  (Read 24261 times)

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
WST loads for 38 wadcutters
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:38 pm »
Greetings:
  Back in the day, I shot Federal Match Wadcutters in my Model 52. That is no longer practical for me and I would like to develop a load using WST powder and Federal cases. Advice on case prep, load data, etc. would be appreciated.
Thank You
Jep

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: WST loads for 38 wadcutters
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:54:53 am »
Jep,
Go to the Hodgdon site at http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp and follow the directions.
It just about every load you might want.  The new Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook would also
be of help.  You can't cook without a cookbook and you can't reload without a reloading book.
Semper Fi
MikeA

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:49:30 am »
I found with my Clark 1911A1 .38 Special, that if I went over 700 fps with any swaged bullet, I would get some leading.  Right now I'm using 2.7 grains of Bullseye with Remington's 148 grain HBWC and it seems to work pretty well.

Looking at the WST load at the website above, I would suggest starting with the minimum load and see how it works.  Their max load is over 700 fps so I would just check on leading if you have to go that high.

You shouldn't need to trim cases.  I never have for light pistol loads; the brass just doesn't seem to grow like it does with rifle loads.

I seat the Rem bullet just slightly below the case rim, which is what the factory load looks like.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:23 am »
Sorry, no data on WST, just never used that powder.   

I do have a Model 52, and a Clark 38 Special.

I have tried all sorts of cast bullets and commercial hollow base wadcutters.  I couldn't get any cast bullet to shoot worth a darn, and of the hollow base wadcutters, The Remington hollow base wadcutter is the best , hands down.   

As mentioned above, 2.7 grains of Bullseye is a good load, as is 3.1 grains of Winchester 231.   However,my favorite load is 2.7 grains of 700X.   Take a look at the 50 yard target below along with the data.

The Remington Bullets are fat, about .360, and the Clark Chamber is tight.   I get best reliability if I give rounds a light roll crimp in the seating station followed by a taper crimp in the last station.   In my model 52 I don't have to do the extra taper crimp, but I do it anyway because that's the way that tool head is set up.   

Actually, I didn't need to do the taper crimp with the original barrel that was in my Clark, but when I had them replace the barrel a couple years back, I couldn't get it to feed reliably until I added the taper crimp step.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »
just to add my 2 cents,    i also shoot a 52,   i reload using 38 spl nickel,  2.7 bullseye,   i also use a little taper crip in last stage,  but find that all it really needs is to have the lead flush with the case,  lead is from a H & G 148 gr mold,  of course none of my targets looks the one shown,  i'll probly die a marksman.    jerry

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:03:19 pm »
Actually,  the marksmanship is provided by a Ransom Rest.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:31:54 pm »
Okay, if we're going to attach photos.  I shot this with my Clark at a 2700 Bullseye match in Dallas on the timed fire stage at 25 yards.  ;D   This was with the Remington bullet and my BE load of 2.7 grains.  I do taper crimp them for the Clark.  I used to do a slight roll crimp but found it was not needed.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
Very nice :o, but it looks like you need to come down half a click  ;)
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
I loaded SWC, 148gr, for the Clark 1911..My mentor, Bobby Bloxom who loaded the ammo for
Jim Clark and shot with him at Camp Perry didn't advise me to do anything but use a crimp
to use in the 1911 .38 Spec which Jim Clark developed here in Shreveport..... ;)

Never had any problems..... :D

My Nickels worth.. ;D
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:33 pm »
The original Clark 38 Specials did not have ramped barrels.  New Clarks have ramped barrels, and whenever they rebarrel one of their 38 Specials, they use a ramped barrel.  I never had a problem with feeding until I had my gun rebarreled.   That's when I started using a taper crimp.  Of course if I wasn't using the fat Remington HBWCs I might not need the taper crimp, but that's the most accurate bullet I have found.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:09 pm »
That's great information rbwillnj, as you know from previous post I reloaded for the
Pistol Team in the 60's........ 8) and that's the type 1911's they used... ::)
I believe they still have some of the 1911, .38 Spec. in the vault at the Academy... 8)
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:44:27 am »
Very nice :o, but it looks like you need to come down half a click  ;)

I did on the next target and shot a 98-5x.   :(  I ended up with a 825-25X because my first two slow fires were terrible.

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »
Greetings:
  Thank you all.  Much usefull information.  I do trim to get a more uniform taper crimp.  The timed fire target was fired indoors in "01".  The slow fire was shot in the wind at Perry in "91".  Federal Factory for both targets. 
Jep