Author Topic: Any interest in new star type reloader?  (Read 55571 times)

wallpep

• View Profile
Any interest in new star type reloader?
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:04:48 pm »
I've been staring at a star for a while now and was wondering how much interest there would be in a newly manufactured star with upgrades and how much people would be willing to pay for it.  The upgrades I think should be included are:

No shell, no powder.
Reversible for right or left hand.
7/8-14 dies.
Adjustable powder bars.
Make it so you can use whatever powder measure you desire.
Hulme type case feeder standard or being able to use one from someone else.
Change the ergonomics.

Any suggestions or ideas, value?

Hardrockshot

• View Profile
Re: Any interest in new star type reloader?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:24:21 am »
I would love to buy a new press, for less than $1,000.00 dollars, maybe even as low priced as a Dillion (please forgive me for the blaspheme).  I do not want to see plastic, that is one of the main problems I see with the other progressive loaders.  More rifle cartridges, also.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:27:00 pm »
My opinion only.

I think it important that parts interchange with existing stars. That would be a major selling point to me. If not, it would be like the Dillon, simply another reloader option.  Tool heads and parts available in rifle calibers would be well received.\, and as Hardrockshot notes, minimal plastic.

If the above were done, prices would have to be in an area that would be competitive with what else is out there. Certainly it could be more expensive but not overpriced.

What it would be priced at would have to be determined by calculating all the variables that impact the cost of manufacture such as materials, R&D, warranty, and of course a profit?

Good luck. Would love to see this.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 12:55:52 am »
MY 2 cents
I'd like to see someone manufacture the Star Reloader again, and perhaps  include as standard  the improvements that have been thought up over the years by the folks that reloaded with them. price kept within reason and the
quality as good or better. There should be  a good market out there. Put Me in line for one !

Something to think about:  Patent infringement.

Lindy

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 02:45:21 pm »
Not practical.

I have two Stars and two Dillon 1050's.  The Dillon will do everything you need for $1500.  A new copy of a Star will be very expensive.

Hell, new shooters don't even know what a Star is.  It will be a marketing challenge for sure. "Better than a 1050 and only XX% more!"

Used ones are snapped up at $400-800 but who will spend $2000+ for a new one?

Don

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:39:01 pm »
I have 4 Star Machines and a 550B, i think there would be a market out there, at least their not half plastic and pot metal, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »
What do you think a New Star is worth?
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:30:44 am »
BUT                 What is a New Star worth today    ( NIB )
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 10:01:17 am »
I've been staring at a star for a while now and was wondering how much interest there would be in a newly manufactured star with upgrades and how much people would be willing to pay for it.  The upgrades I think should be included are:

No shell, no powder.
Reversible for right or left hand.
7/8-14 dies.
Adjustable powder bars.
Make it so you can use whatever powder measure you desire.
Hulme type case feeder standard or being able to use one from someone else.
Change the ergonomics.

Any suggestions or ideas, value?

Wasn't that the idea behind the CPM?
As much as I like the Star, I believe that its time has past.  The Dillon/RCBS is every bit as serviceable but a lot less expensive to make.  The Star tool head is just too expensive to compete.
former progressive press collector

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:52:58 pm »
Bill Detoff, the designer & producer of the CPM, was positive he could beat Star's price building & selling his machine. At least that's what he said before he got them into production.

A considerable amount of costwork should be done in advance.

The gentleman's comment re the 1050 should be considered as very good advice. I've been in Bullseye shooting since '68 & he is the 2nd person I have heard having a 1050. The point here being that beating their price will be tough & how large a market is there for that price machine. Especially when Dillon has a rep for replacing those plastic parts etc for little or nothing.

With all that being said I am a dedicated Star owner & user.

My list for this dream machine:
7/8-14 dies
Choice of adjustable pdr bar or drilled for Hornady bushings
Auto Indexing
Hulme
Finished Rd Ejection

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:11:07 pm »
 It would be interesting to know just how many Dillon 1050's and 650's are sold each year.  That would give you an idea about the possible market size.  I like the idea of a Star "like" machine being manufactured again but don't know if it would be a money making enterprise (even if I would like to buy one).  As already stated above, the marketing would be a challenge (except for members of this forum!).  All of the companies making Star clones are gone as well, so the market could not have been that strong.  Making that "toolroom fit" of all the parts of a Star, as well as the amount of machining of the main head would be quite expensive.  How much would you be willing to pay?  The folks that make Spolar reloaders seem to have found a place in the market. 

I find it a marvel that companies such as Dillon and Hornady can manufacture progressive reloaders for as little money as they do.  That still does not mean that I will buy one.  I enjoy using old reloading equipment such as the Star as much as I enjoy shooting sports.  The quality and precision of the machine is a constant reminder of what can be done with care and pride in your work.  I believe that Swanee acquired all the remaining tooling and parts for the Berdon loader from the estate.  I don't know if he had plans to possibly make the loaders again or if he had other ideas.  Perhaps he will chime in here...

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:14:39 am »
Being a pistol enthusiast, I have not seriously done shotgun so had never heard of the Spolar.

WOW!. Starlike in quality and design. Costly? Yes, but a price I would pay if I was seriously in the sport like I am in pistol. Have never seen a Spolar in person, only a Dillon. From the web site alone, there is no comparison to the Dillon, which is a good machine.

Not sure I would get the hydraulics, but that was a great idea to incorporate into the production. With some engineering, it could probably be adapted to a Star.

I do see that they say the slow down in the computer and aerospace industries allowed them to advance the manufacturing concept to an affordable level. I would speculate this was a project that was done in down time, because to dedicate time and effort to this alone as a project would definitely be costly.

I would suggest everyone take a look at the videos on the site if they have never seen a Spolar.
WWW.SpolarGold.Com
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 09:53:01 am »
I'd be curious how many reloaders Spolar sells in a year.  At $1550, I'm guessing they don't sell many at all.

I do a lot of Trap Shooting (12,000 - 15,000 shells per year).   I don't know anyone with a Spolar.  I know very few people with Ponsness Warrens (which are also quality machines) and Dillons which both go for around $800.   Mec's are the most popular, with the Mec 9000GN being the most popular among volume shooters.   A Mec 9000GN lists for under $500 now.

In reloading for pistol, most of us reload not only because it saves money, but because we create loads which are better than what we can buy.   With shotgun reloading, you never hear anyone say they can load better rounds than they can buy.  It's all about cost.

Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

SWANEE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »
In responce to Joatman, I did a lot of researching to or not to persue in the manufacture of a Star type reloader, I did have all the drawings-jigs and alot of parts but was just not feasable in my opinion to do a start-up in making of a new press. I sold most everything I had with the exception of a few parts I needed, the gents who bought what I had maybe are in the works of doing such a project but at this time I have not heard from them, I do know they were quite excided at the time but maybe have changed their mind, some day you all may hear from them. BUT, on a side note (when we get some warm weather, if that ever happens) I am working on a Star to load 223, have had some machine work done and a little more to be done (is costly so have to move slow), but I can tell you it will be case activated for the powder drop and be able to use with ALL calibers, don't get to excided, it's still in progress. Regards to all and a big (WOOF WOOF) from my new buddy Gus.

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 04:13:23 pm »
I have a Spolar hydraulic (purchased used for $1800) and I shoot with three other guys who have one.  It is the Star of shotshell reloaders.  I also have a PW 800+ with electric drive and case feeder.  Total of $3600 invested in shot shell reloaders and I turn out 2 flats of shells per hour without any heroics on either machine - with the PW being faster.  The shells are perfect.

At $8 a box for AA and STS's I am saving over $4 a box - the crap they sell at Wally World for $22/4 pack cannot compare to my reloads.  So, after 900 boxes (22,500) rounds the machines are paid for (but still worth at least $2500 if I sold them).  My girlfriend and I shoot 25,000 rounds of 12 ga a year.  Seems like a no brainer to me. 

I have owned MEC's and a Dillon SL900.  It is like comparing an RCBS Green Machine (which I thankfully rid myself of) or a Lee progressive to a Star.  Made for the same purpose but not in the same zip code.

Don Verna