Author Topic: Wemco Williams Star Reloader  (Read 49464 times)

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Wemco Williams Star Reloader
« on: December 24, 2005, 10:30:55 pm »
To Kenneth Waters,

I appreciate if you can share your knowledge of the Wemco Williams Star Reloader.? I have seen product literature on the machine but do not know if they ever existed or anyone who claimed to have one.? (I think I spelled the machine name correctly.)?

-TIA
Steve

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Wemco Williams Star Reloader
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 06:16:41 pm »
I don't know what a Wemco William Star reloader is?  You can e-mail me at [no e-mail]@.com or call at 928-714-9484.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 06:20:03 pm by Kenneth L. Walters »
former progressive press collector

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 07:44:43 pm »
I came across some old product literature for a Synchronmatic Reloading System mfg by Wemco-Williams, Beltsville, Maryland.? From some of the pictures, it appears to be a Star Reloader that has been modified to be a automated commercial loading system.?It has a motorized system for indexing, auto bullet feeder, and Chevron case feeder.?
Let me call you later this week.?
- -Steve

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 07:57:35 pm »
Not familiar with that one.  I was never interested in the companies who built just accessories and particularly not interested in anyone who made an automatic indexer.  I don't remember this company.  Sorry.

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 02:30:42 pm »
I owned a complete Wemco-Williams mnachine in 38 spcl.  I still have the base and (I think) a bunch of spare parts.  It was a star universal machine mounted on a steel base.  The "ears" on the toolhead were cut off allowijng the machine to operate in a full circle.  The Synchromatic had a long arm driven by the shaft which replaced the Star operating handle.  The Sync used the Hulme case feeder (as I recall), but had its own indexer,  bullet feeder, and case collator (prior to the Chevron).  I think I may still have the original instruction book and, as I said, I still have the base sans Star machine. This machine blew up on me with a Brewster primer turret installed with about 300 small pistol primers (which also blew up).  I don't believe I ever used the machine again.  However, if one were using processed brass (sized, decapped, and good primer pockets) and  non-sticky bullets, I think one could load ammo at the rate of 1800 or so rounds per hour.  With primed brass, the machine would probably be a whiz.
sdo

eaglemike

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://eagle-m-e.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 05:37:54 pm »
Primer turrets are scary things. I'm sorry to hear of your mis-fortune.

all the best,

Mike
Eagle Mfg & Eng since 1990

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 12:15:57 pm »
i lived through it.  When i hear someone asking about a turret, it gives me the willies.  As a commercial loader, i used an ammoload primer tube loader which was very good.  Interestingly, the instructions call for putting several thousand primers in the bowl (a syntron unit) and starting the machine.  The machine was reasonably good at orienting the primers, but not perfect.  Looking down into a mass of several thousand primers is a sobering experience although i never had another explosion (but a close friend did when a loaded cartridge  flipped into the bowl and set off a bunch--no injuries, thank God, but interesting). 
sdo

eaglemike

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://eagle-m-e.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 09:23:51 pm »
I liked to try to get Elard to talk about stuff, but he was usually pretty quiet. He and Willis both mentioned (at different times) a story about a guy that had cast a lead weight onto the small brass knob of the primer follower rod. He evidently had a dirty machine, and was using force instead of cleaning. Well, you can imagine what happened. The guy blew the stack of primers................I don't know if he actually tried to sue Star, but he did call and at least threaten them. People....................

all the best,

Mike
Eagle Mfg & Eng since 1990

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 11:46:42 pm »
Commercial loader?  The Steve Odgen I thought I remember was an assistant district attorney.

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 01:59:44 pm »
Ken, i was until 1999, but I also loaded commercially for nearly 25 years.  I stopped in 1995 and disposed of most of my equipment but I have never lost the interest in presses, particularly progressives.  I am now in pursuit of an old Dercks machine.  I met Joe Dercks back in the late 60's.  I believe that he invented the first reasonably priced and decent automatic loading machine.  The machine was available in both motor and hand power (by a crank).  If I get it, I will try to send you a picture.  Remember the Newcomb in 38 I sold you about 1978?  Istill have the other press in 45.
sdo

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 03:09:49 pm »
Joe Dircks.  Now there is a name not many know.  I met him when I was 32, 30 years ago.  He use to vacation at a little hot springs somewhere in new mexico.  Went there to meet him.  I remember that he had retired, the first time, the year I was born, 1943.

Joe, of course, made two straightline progressives, the Dircks and the Tri-Standard.  Still have his pictures of those, I think.  The Dircks, as I recall, was totally automated.  Electric motor to power it.  The Tri-Standard, made some years later, was hand powered.   Don't remember the company history anymore.

One thing you might consider is calling Tony Sailer.  Last I knew he still lived in Owen Wisconsin.  I think that Tony got rid of most of his press collection but you never know.

armac

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »
Are you interested in selling Wemco Machine? Cordially ARMAC

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 04:31:15 pm »
I got an e-mail recently from a fellow whose father bought the rights to the Tri-Standard.  Apparently he has several operational machines.  Don't know if any are for sale but...

armac

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 05:40:28 am »
Do you have contact information for him?

CHAWKI44

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 12:55:48 pm »
A note to eaglemike's post about the guy who used a wighted primer follower:  The weighted follower was used to keep a constant downward pressure on the primers and works exceedingly well. And Yes we had a primer tube blow -all that happened was the follower blew out of the tube- the tube nor the machine was damaged in any way - the weighted follower had nothing to do with the primer detonation. If I remember correctly a swedged 9mm case got buy us( this was over twenty years ago). This was the only time we had a primer tube or any other mishap. Not bad considering we had over twenty Star Machines set up and  I might also add that Elard knew of the episode and Star was never at blame and there was NEVER EVER any mention of any kind of law suite. Elard was a very close friend, and we have always been a champion of the Star Machine Works. Chris Hawkins of Hawkins Reloads and McKeon and Son Reloads.