Author Topic: Article by Mr. Walters  (Read 7313 times)

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Article by Mr. Walters
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:34:56 pm »
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:18:09 pm by angus6 »

• Active Members
    • View Profile
GUN DIGEST article from circa 1964 on the Star
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:24:07 pm »
I believe that Kent Bellah had an article in an early 1960's edition of Gun Digest, possibly in 1964, that pictured D.L. Cooper in a Texas DPS uniform loading on a Star. He had some tips and comments on using the progressive loader: avoiding Double Charging was discussed at length. "D.L." put on shooting exhibitions for the Department of Public Safety at various venues around the state. He and Kent loaded some 127 grain Harvey bullets for use in the .357 Magnum revolver back when the standard load was a 158 lead SWC. The results were "impressive". I have a "00" powder charge bar that belonged to Kent and is marked 5.2 Unique -- his heavy .38 Special load with a 160 cast bullet.

Captain Dan Combs did a similar form of exhibition shooting for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. Dan did the lead-in shots for the 1970's movie "Dillinger" using a 1928 Navy overstamp Thompson SMG that belonged to the Patrol. He cut a playing card in "half" with one continuous 50 round burst from the Thompson's drum at 7 yards. Dan loaded his .38 Special "blanks" used for indoor demonstrations on a Star Universal -- in about 1963 each trooper in Oklahoma chipped in a Quarter and bought Dan a Universal Progressive with extra tool head (.45 ACP) and a Star Sizer Lubricator. 

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Article by Mr. Walters
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:19:28 am »
I did, obviously.  And I really liked that thing.  I believe that it was sold, along with almost all of my reloading equipment, to Ron Peterson of Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque, about fourteen years ago.  Ron might still have it.

Though I no longer remember the name of the fellow who made this, I do remember talking to him years later.  He said that very few were sold.
former progressive press collector