Author Topic: 223?  (Read 15358 times)

rlh

• Active Members
    • View Profile
223?
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »
Can the star press be used for 223? If so , where do you get dies and shell plate? How about 7.62 x 39?

pcmacd

• Active Members
  • NRA / CRPA Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: 223?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:37:57 pm »
Can the star press be used for 223? If so , where do you get dies and shell plate? How about 7.62 x 39?

This may be a partial answer:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/about_us.html

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
223 and Star
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:54:06 pm »
The answer is a easy yes for the 223 Rem.  However work (and expense) is involved.  See the following posts I have made outlining the process  (or at least the way I did it, there are a number of ways to carry out the necessary modifications).
       Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 1, Dies
       Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 2, Powder Assembly
       Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part 3, Expander Mandrel
I and others have make additional posts that can be located with Search.  The posts also discuss sources for the parts or guidelines for having some of the parts machined.  Even if a Star for the 223 wasn't commercially feasible, it is very possible to set the Star up for 223.

llwsgn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:07:28 pm »
I'm currently reloading 223 on my Star, (just beginning in fact). I was fortunate to purchase a Phelps tool head that was remachined to accept 7/8x14 threaded RCBS dies.

The size & seat stations on the tool head were the ones that were reworked to 7/8". The heavy cast "collar" portion of the tool head that rides up and down on the Star machine shaft was also cut away in a rounded shape to make room for the size die to tread into the larger diameter hole.

The powder slide housing had an angle shaved off of the edge that would otherwise contact the 7/8" seat die, (again larger hole and diameter issue).

I had to shorten the  screw on the seating die, as it interfered with the screw that attaches the spring to the tool head.

A .380 shell plate will work for .223, but if you tap the tool head for 7/8" dies you'll need  recesses cut in the shell plate to accomadate the larger diameter mouth of  standard sized dies.

I purchased a 223 powder spout, and expander plug from Manuel on this forum. Your sizing die will expand the cases, but I just wanted an expander on top of the prime station to help stabilize the brass.

I've chose to size my brass on a single stage press using an RCBS "X" die, (the X die eliminates the need to trim brass once you've properly processed the cases, and it's very important on the Star to have all brass the same length to prevent crushing, and to maintain uniform head space).

I made the decision to size brass on the single stage press because it seemed to require a bit more pressure on the Star than I wanted to use based on the volume of reloading that I'm anticipating.

I believe that there is an individual on this forum that could create 11/16x24 dies for you in .223, and thus eliminate modifications to tool head, powder slide housing, and shell plate that you'd encounter if attempting to use standard dies. He is mentioned repeatedly on this forum, and is highly recommended.

I recommend also the items that I bought from Manuel on this forum. I bought the Phelps tool head from Bruce here on the forum, he's great as well.

I've reloaded about 150 rounds twice now...I'm waiting on military brass and a primer pocket swage tool. They are loaded to M855 specs but in .223 cases, (to eliminate dealng with primer pockets at this time). The ammo seems to be more accurate than the factory PMC I have. Quite reliable as well.

I'm hoping to get together some pics of what is going on with the .223 & Star setup that I'm using, but not positive as to when I'll get all of that together.

Hope this helps... reloading 223 on the Star can be done, and will speed up your production above that of a single stage press.

Warmest regards

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »

Making a regular Star load 223's is how Mike Dillon got started.  It was called the Super Star kit.  Decades ago I did a review of it for either Gun Digest or Handloader's Digest.  Have no idea now what I thought of the kit but...

Of course there was also the Star pistol/223 tool.  And the Star rifle machine.  Both of those could easily handle the 223.

Back when this was all happening the 7.62x39 wasn't really known here so no Star tool was ever made to handle it.

But the Phelps might.  The Phelps rifle machine, as I recall, had a much longer shaft and a manual powder measure so it could almost certainly have handled both cartridges.  But again there was no interest in the 7.62x39 back then.

Star tool heads, of course, could be bought new using 7/8x14 dies.  I don't remember what thread size the rifle machine or the pistol/223 machines used.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:29:41 pm by Kenneth L. Walters »
former progressive press collector

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »
Greetings Ken,

Your comment about Star selling tool heads in 7/8-14 is interesting. Do you have any sales brochures or other documentation from Star showing this offering?

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 05:14:26 pm »
No.  But a bought a couple from them.  The locking rings were modified, as I recall, but nothing else.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star factory tool head for 7/8 inch dies
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »
I have what I think (was told) is a Star factory tool head which came cut for 7/8 inch dies. The most obvious difference, other than the size of the die holes, is a semicircular vertical kerf cut in the tool head lower link pin housing which aligns with the 7/8 inch hole for the sizing die and allows the 7/8 inch die to be withdrawn from the top side.  Without this clearance kerf, the sizing die could not be inserted or would need to be machined down so it could be inserted from the bottom of the tool head.  None of my Star machines for Star dies have this clearance kerf.  This tool head looks like it has the original paint and not a touchup suggesting the cuts had been made aftermarket.  Can anyone comment about my assumption that this is a factory cut characteristic or describe the clearance solution on their known factory cut 7/8 inch toolhead?

llwsgn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:37:22 pm »
Manuel, the Phelps head that I bought from Bruce has the same cut in it above the size die.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star factory tool head for 7/8 inch dies
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:49:32 pm »
I have what I think (was told) is a Star factory tool head which came cut for 7/8 inch dies. The most obvious difference, other than the size of the die holes, is a semicircular vertical kerf cut in the tool head lower link pin housing which aligns with the 7/8 inch hole for the sizing die and allows the 7/8 inch die to be withdrawn from the top side.  Without this clearance kerf, the sizing die could not be inserted or would need to be machined down so it could be inserted from the bottom of the tool head.  None of my Star machines for Star dies have this clearance kerf.  This tool head looks like it has the original paint and not a touchup suggesting the cuts had been made aftermarket.  Can anyone comment about my assumption that this is a factory cut characteristic or describe the clearance solution on their known factory cut 7/8 inch toolhead?

I think that that is right.  Mind you I sold my Star collection in 96 so my memory isn't all that great but I do think that that cut was there.

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:28:39 pm »
Near the end of their production Star offered the Universal pistol press in 11/16-24 or 7/8-14 die thread options.  At the same time they offered the Rifle machine with the 7/8-14 threaded tool head.  The rife machine was supplied without dies, but did have the powder measure setup to drop larger charges (I found this in old ads in copies of handloaders digest).   I have one of the rifle machines set up with .223, and it also has the cutout on the die head for clearance of the larger die body.  The rifle machine also has a thicker die head, a longer stroke with curved link arms in front and a much larger powder slide with a unique cam assembly.  There is a thread on this from a couple of months ago that you can find with a search on rifle machine. There are a few pictures in the thread that may be of interest if you are interested in a rifle conversion.   

John

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:16:54 am »
For whatever it is worth, the rifle machine was made a very long time before Star admitted having one or offering it for sale.  The Army insisted that they make it for use in Asia among tribesman who were helping them in Vietnam.  Not in Vietnam, I think, but in Cambodia.  Star told me that they were basically forced to design and make the machine.  How a few of those early machines got into private hands I don't know but it was one of those early machines that I got one of.

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:47:26 pm »
I am not sure about the history of the one that I found, I always assumed that it was made more lately than the Vietnam era, but I really dont know.  It does have an extra addition to the serial number.  After the main group of numbers there is an R15 stamped into the top of the die plate.  If anyone has information about the dating or coding of these numbers it would be great to hear from you.  Sorry this thread is drifting a bit.